11. Gossip

Mike and Enyo walked at the front of the pack, with Levi, Farlan, and Isabel directly behind them, and Erwin, Rashad, Keiji, and Nifa trailed behind. They'd cut the gang's restraints off and started back to the stairs to the surface and Enyo was ready to get back outside so she could see normally.

Of course, it wasn't until after they'd come to the Underground that Section Commander Erwin told the group they had to personally pay the toll to go back above ground on their own and then Mike confessed he wasn't carrying his money.

"You still owe me for that damned muffin." Enyo stared at the toll collector and waited for him to tell her the price.

"That's higher than we were told," Erwin said. 

"Just the way it is. Wanna go up? Pay it."

She sweetly stared at the toll collector and asked, "is there an Aetos discount?" 

He laughed at her. Stared her in the eyes and laughed. "There ain't no ranks down here, princess.

"Just pay," Mike said.

Enyo clutched her coin purse and glared at Mike. "You know, I was worried about you but now I'm not really feeling as charitable. You owe me, dog."

She coughed up two payments and she and Mike passed the toll collector. They turned to wait for the rest of their group and Erwin counted out his coins. "Enyo, do you have any more?"

A tear escaped Enyo's eyes as she gave her coin purse to her Section Commander. She jabbed her finger at Erwin when he joined them on the other side with Levi and Isabel. "Half a year's wages. Gone. You owe me! Both of you!"

Enyo aggressively took her coin purse back and shoved it in her waist line and turned back on Mike. "Ya' here? I'm never buying you dinner again!"

Enyo stalked up the stairs while the rest of the group trailed after her. Levi, Farlan, and Isabel shared a look as they turned and saw the first rays of the sun. Their footsteps slowed, before Isabel laughed and sprinted past Enyo into the sunlight. Her eyes were narrow, but she had a giant smile on her face.

"Welcome above ground," Enyo smiled at them, "Isabel, Farlan, and Levi!"

Farlan returned Enyo's smile with wide, breathtaking eyes that pooled with tears. He gazed at Enyo in the sunlight. Her blonde hair was much more warm and golden than his, securely tied back tightly. Her skin was tanned and her eyes shined like stars against the sun.

Isabel laughed and jumped on the balls of her feet, watching wagons and horses and people push past them, going about their day. "What's that?" Isabel pointed at a cart of fruit rolling past before she jumped back and pointed at something else.

Enyo kept her eyes on Levi, who took it all in stoically. His steel, icy eyes peered around the city and he grumbled, "we're still caged."

"Go," Mike pushed past Enyo and she motioned for Isabel and Farlan to get in the carriage. They boarded excitedly after Isabel stopped to pet one of the horses. Levi slowly walked past Enyo, and he looked down at her, their eyes connecting as he stepped into the carriage. Enyo jumped in after him, and the entire ride, he looked out the window, silent.

"After long debate, these new recruits will be placed on Section Commander Flagon's squad," Commander Shadis announced.

Enyo leaned forward and whispered, "Why aren't they assigned to us?"

Erwin's reply was a deep, controlled breath. Enyo stood up straight and tightened up her salute. Mike stood behind Enyo and he snorted back a laugh. Enyo kicked her foot backward and it smacked against his shin. Mike huffed and Enyo rolled her lips over tightly, biting back a laugh.

"You guys went to the Underground?" Hange's eyes glazed over as Enyo told them about finding the recruits. Luke's arm snaked its way around Enyo's waist and she nodded her head vigorously, her food long forgotten.

"Hange it was so hard to see! Imagine the forest at night but like...darker."

Luke murmured against Enyo's hair. "Sounds intense, Little Eagle."

Dieter snored loudly next to them and Hange jumped to her feet. "I'm going to go talk to them! This is so cool!"

"Whoa, calm down!" Enyo ran after Hange. "We can talk with them later, they're getting adjusted. I'm sure it's jarring."

"That's why we have to go now!" Hange's cheeks were flushed.

Hange ran into the womens' barracks and tracked down the poor unsuspecting girl. Enyo huffed when Hange grabbed Isabel's shoulders and demanded to know everything about the Underground.

"Don't shake her to death, Hange," Enyo shoved Hange off of Isabel, "We need her alive!"

"Oh!" A smile grew on Isabel's face. "You're Eren, right?"

"Enyo." She held her hand out for a formal greeting. "Enyo Aetos. Sorry about earlier, by the way. When the job demands it, it demands."

Hange pulled Isabel's translucent hand up to her face and breathed heavily. "It's so pale! I can see your veins bright and clear."

"Careful there, Hange. Your excitement's gonna rub off the wrong way," Enyo laughed. "Hey, there's an empty bunk next to mine if you want it."

"Sure." Isabel followed Enyo toward Enyo's bunk. Isabel jumped on her bed and looked up at Enyo, "you think big bro's attractive!"

Enyo pursed her lips trying to connect the dots as to how Isabel got to that statement. "Who is 'big bro'?"

"Levi." Isabel leaned into Enyo. "You didn't stop staring at him during the entire ride here."

"Seems like you've got that other form of excitement," Hange jeered. Enyo pushed Hange's head away from her as she turned back to Isabel.

"Where'd you go off thinking that was like a normal topic to talk about? I'm not attracted to him, by the way."

Enyo pulled off her shirt and stretched out her arms. Isabel couldn't help but stare at the long scar that glistened down Enyo's arm and she cleared her throat. "Isn't that what girls talk about? Boys?"

"When you're ten."

"Oh," Isabel frowned.

"I was just looking at him because I think I've seen him before." Enyo rolled her tight muscled shoulders back and Hange jumped on her back.

"How'd you have seen the Underground man before today?" Hange's excitement grew. "Is there something you're not tellin' us about your past?"

"I don't know," Enyo grumbled and latched onto Hange's dangling arms. "It was before I was a cadet. I don't really have a whole lot to go off of, it was just a glance."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I'm living for Mike and Enyo's friendship. Leave a vote and comment!