Chapter 1

"Harder!"

Everything froze in time. Even my heartbeat raced in nameless moments, and I feared the world was collapsing on me. But what was descending was my uncle's sword, and as it landed on mine just right above my head and forced me down on the sandy ground, I seemed to realize why I must feel the pain that immediately enveloped my left knees. But I should be grateful that we were only using wooden swords for training.

I stood up, wiggly and pale like an over-dried clothe in a scourging sun. My weight had suddenly gathered at my shoulder and feet, making my being restless as if the weight of the world was upon me, and my feet were literally shackled and permanently installed in a spot, but I had to take a stance, and so I did.

"Again!"

King Zander shouted at the height of his voice, which made me stare at him with baffled surprise. His face expressed more of what his heart held; stained with anger and hatred, and I wondered towards who? I stared back at uncle Gary and that was when I got the scariest moment of my life, for before I could create a defense, a bolt of lightning hit me and I fell on my back – exhausted.

"Zander," Gary said, but immediately lowered his head and bowed to the king in resignation to the king's countenance towards him, which demanded due respect. In a low and respectful tone, he said:

"I think we should go easy on her."

"Rest her up. She continues the training in the evening." King Zander said and paced out with his arms tightened behind him. I wondered what I had done wrong to deserve such treatment.

Yes! He was my father, and I had lived as a princess who had never smelt or tasted rest and peace since I was little. My training was light and easy a few years ago – father said I had to train to be able to protect myself from danger. I had shot my eyes at him with the expression that asked 'why?' the first day he announced it; I was only 5 then, more of the reason why I had no choice.

When I climaxed at 17 years old, about to turn 18 in five months, my training became like hell itself. I had to practice fencing, sparing, defense, and the hardest was my lightning magic. I could barely form little lightning, and the consequence of me being weak still was the concurrent bully by uncle Gary whom father assigned to train me.

I adored uncle Gary a lot; he was the complete opposite of my father, and I knew that if father hadn't been his king, he wouldn't have accepted to go through such fierce training with me. He often consoles me and makes me not feel my mother's absence too much – she died a year after giving birth to me. I didn't even know what she looked like in real life, I only had sketches of her and from that, I got to know that I was a replica of her. I often wonder how amazing it would be to have her with me. I sobbed most of the time, alone with my thoughts, just as I was with my hands buried in the sandy ground and my tears soaking them, but there has never been anyone to console me during that period.

Father had taken uncle Gary with him to the castle and the guards at the training ground wouldn't even dare look at me. As far as they were concerned, I was the princess.

Princesses are supposed to have guards, live an angel's life, be pampered and always dressed up in fine linens, but such was not my case. I slept and woke up in the guard's department, trained with the guards morning, afternoon and evening, and what they wore was what I sheltered with also. My life was a hell, but I hoped there was a reason for all that. I often wondered if my father had always been mad at me because mum died a year after giving birth to me, so he wished I had never been born...

"Don't say that my angel." Uncle Gary said and I shot out of my thoughts. How in the world did he hear my thoughts? He smiled at my face widened with marvel and sat beside me, placing one hand on my left shoulder.