Chapter 2

My knees had weakened as a lady's would when held by arms that sent chills through her body and made her desire the cuddling of arms and tangles of legs where darkness is ageless.

His arms were familiar – the few minutes with which I had seen and been in his arms stood for an eternity of having known him. His muscles were firm, and I felt safe within his strong arms - not just because he'd saved me earlier, but because of the protective aura I felt around him. I knew I could let everything out, and with this fact, the back of my eyes boiled with tears and I buried my face in his chest and sobbed. It was strange, but I knew I could trust him with my weakness and gain his comfort, which he did give me.

"I thought angels don't cry?" He said and I felt him smile. He drew back and stared into my eyes then cupped my cheeks with both hands; his palms were as warm as the sun heading to sunset.

The breeze suddenly became soothing as we locked eyes. His eyes were undeterred as he stared keenly into my eyes, and once I blinked and a tread of tears was severed between my lids, he wiped it with his thumb before it could slide down my cheek.

I wasn't what anyone would call beautiful, neither have I had the proper time to check out what anyone would call me. But while staying in the guard's department and training with them, I'd never had the chance of getting my hair done or getting my face dolled up.

I had imagined preening myself in the finest of silky dresses, but it had only been in my imagination. So, never have I really thought I was an angel, or if anyone would ever regard me as beautiful.

But he'd called me an angel, thereby meaning that I looked beautiful, right? Well, all I could say was:

"I'm Claire."

He nodded and smiled, then stroked my hair one more time before leaning forward, with his lips an inch away from mine. I had always wanted my first kiss to be special, and I wouldn't be more glad to have it that moment. Though I would say that I was inexperienced, I wouldn't say that I was oblivious of romance or too dumb about the incitement of desires. I was sure that I knew what it feels like to fall in love and have the desire to see that person each waking day. Well, that would be a story for another day - or...

Father had his rules, and I was born to abide by each and every one of them. His idea of me as a princess and being his sole heir, meant I had to read historical books in the royal library, mostly histories of the Golden Lightning Magic, and war strategies. But even though I had always been in the situations where I had little or no choice, I guess I wasn't that obedient. I had once sneaked into my father's private library and took, or should I say stole, fairytale stories which I always read afresh whenever I felt lonely and everyone was fast asleep. By now the pages had worn out on my face, but each word in each page was always as fresh as the first time I read them. So, I could very much make scenes in my head and basked in the gloriousness of the illusion.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and inhaled deeply. Then I held my breath and closed my eyes, expecting his lips on mine sooner. I could feel the heat radiating from his face burning into mine, and my body quivered under his. But his words came out, though gentle and arousing, to break my heart.

"We never met."

"What?" I opened my eyes and found myself at the back of the training department. The bewilderment made me look around immediately, and I couldn't even imagine how it had been possible for us to have made it there in no time.

My mystery man had become a ghost blowing away with the wind, and I was breaking down for the want of air. I took in a deep breath and loosened up immediately to look around more for him. But he was nowhere to be found. I wished he was hiding behind the trees, and maybe he would just pop out, but he didn't.