Chapter 8

A dark skied night is most enjoyable in the arms of a loved one, when the souls coalesced, and we could see the future in a dream so real to be true. The stars don't twinkle for anything, they have to emit light for the moon to find its path as it orbits the earth. And we're humans still, the only inconsistent being.

But maybe that is what makes us beautiful, because we're the only being who knows the value of time...

The night was beautified by the twinkling stars and the tender smell of the night wind. The cursory breeze never missed its way - it soothed our bodies for oneness.

Willick and I were sitting beside each other. My left palm enclosed down on his right palm as we watched the moon and the stars. I placed my head on his shoulder and sighed with relief. Knowing he shared my feelings created a joy I had never for once felt in my heart.

If a princess must marry a prince, then I'll be the first princess to marry a peasant.

I had already made up my mind, and I was determined to fight in defense of my decision.

He pulled my head away from his shoulder, stared into my eyes and kissed my forehead. "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing." I smiled awkwardly and hid my face from him.

He shook his head and kept his stare still. I drew closer to him and squeezed myself in his embrace, then he stroked my hair down.

"If I asked, would you run away with me?" I felt him smile, so I disengaged from his embrace and stared into his eyes, just to show him how serious I was.

"Wherever you go, I go. But running won't solve the problem."

"But that may be our only option."

He drew me back to his embrace and started patting my back.

"I love you, Willick."

"I love you my princ-"

I shot out of his embrace. "Claire! Is it so hard?"

He smiled and pressed his lips on mine for a minute. It seemed like an eternity. His luscious lips were so tender that once they touched mine, my body shivered, and I could feel a part of me I don't know, getting awakened. The feeling was always familiar, yet strange. It made me want to discover the part of me that wanted him so badly, that I could already picture us body on body...

He attempted to retreat his head, so I held him still. He allowed my tongue in and I explored his mouth; he tastes so good. I could taste the faint sweetness of wine in his mouth.

"Someone will like to meet you," he mumbled into my mouth.

I disengaged and smoothened his lips with my forefinger, while sucking on my tongue like a child who'd just had her first wine.

"Who?"

He opened his palm and I recognized the dragon that formed. Dreg! He gave Willick a bow before turning to me.

"You remember Dreg?"

I nodded and smiled. "Hi, Dreg. I hope you don't mind me being with Willick? I'm so in love with him." I smiled wider and Willick did the same.

"I love her too, Dreg."

Willick admitting his feelings for me melted my heart. My chest became sizzling and the back of my eyes bore hot tears. I only had to draw my nose up and sighed deeply to cool myself down.

Dreg flapped its wings. "The path will be rough," he said.

I shot my eyes at Willick. He nodded at me with a smile curling the side of his lips. I didn't believe dragons could speak, although I'd read about it.

Which path will be rough?

Suddenly, the wind howled and Dreg mixed with the air, while Willick hastily rose to his feet.

"What's it? I asked, looking confused and worried.

"Someone is coming." He said and drew back a bit, away from me, then bowed and kept his gaze down. I heard footsteps; it was father. That moment, I realized there were things I still hadn't cared to know about Willick. What kind of magic did he possess? Why can't I read his thoughts? Who was Dreg to him? But I wanted to wait. Not to bother him, but to let him tell me everything when he deems the time right.

I knew something was off about him and I had a lot of questions, but what I deemed most important was my feelings for him, and I wasn't ready to compromise it. We loved each other, and that was enough, so long as that was all I cared about.

Father approached me, ignoring Willick as if he was non-existent in that space.

"Father?"

"I'm sorry for what happened earlier, my angel." He said as he held me to himself. Then he leaned in and searched for my face. "The prince is really a good ma-"

"Father!"

"Okay. Let's talk about this later. You should go and rest." He turned to Willick and stared at him, again with that rage in his eyes. I couldn't stand it, so I moved away from him to take his gaze away from Willick.

"Escort the princess back to her room."

Willick bowed lower and caught up with me.

When I was sure we'd gone far away from dad and that he wasn't following, I halted and Willick did the same, then I turned to him.

"Kneel!" I commanded, abruptly.

"What?"

"I am your princess and I command you to kneel!"

He was a little hesitant. His bewilderment was apparent on his face and his eyes flickered as he tried to steady them on me. But he bowed anyway, then he went down gently and landed on his right knee. I burst into laughter.

"That feels great." I smiled. He exhaled and smiled, then rose up to his feet. I took his hand and we ran to my door.

Willick carried me bridal style into the room and gently placed me on the bed. He was going to retreat his body, but I held him back and made him join me. Then I placed my head on his chest and listened to his heartbeat.

"Who's your heart beating for?" I asked.

"It's beating for you." He said.

I sighed deeply and let my heart enjoy the excitement of knowing his feelings for me. I removed my head from his chest and gave him a stare, then said, "I love you, Willick."

He smiled in a way that revealed his lower jaw. "I love you, Claire."

Our lips met and recognized each other, for a minute and two. I placed my head back on his chest, closed my eyes and made a wish – 'to sleep and wake in his arms every day.'

But heaven helps us if we get caught.