Chapter 13

After a night when thoughts of Willick and father kept me tossing, I awoke at dawn to Clara knocking on my door.

"My princess," she said and waited for a response.

I sighed deeply as I rose up to sit and gathered the blanket to myself. Apparently, it's been the only companion that offered warmth, and that was why I needed it the most at the time.

"Come in," I said.

The door opened swiftly. She popped her head into the small space she'd opened and peeped into the room. Once she'd been sure that I was truly awake and ready to receive her, she made more space for herself and came in.

"I'm sorry for disturbing your sleep," she said.

If Clara had looked closely, she'd have discerned that I didn't have a single second of sleep throughout the night. But her visit in my room that early morning seemed brief, and she'd rather have it that way.

"Your uncle requested your presence in the court, my princess."

"Uncle Gary? Why?"

Clara looked sharply at me and quickly lowered her gaze as if willing to hide what she was sure I would discern if I were to keep looking into her eyes.

"I do not know, my princess?"

"Clara?" I searched for her face, but she kept on tossing her head sideways to avoid contact with my eyes.

"Clara, do you believe that Willick killed the king? He wouldn't kill my father, and everyone knows that!"

Clara looked at me and settled her gaze as she stood upright.

"Of course, not everyone. Uncle believed that Willick killed the king."

"My princess, I do not know what to believe at this moment. But it is a matter of if you trust Willick enough to take his side."

"Of course, Clara. I trust him with my life."

"But, would your uncle lie? Apparently, he was the only witness who saw Willick running out of the King's chamber."

My head gave a sharp spin immediately and I lost every reason. Willick wouldn't have had any reason to kill my father, and uncle Gary wouldn't have had any reason to lie against him if he hadn't witnessed the scene.

But, I saw Willick vanish in front of my eyes.

Oh, my eyes were closed then?

Perhaps...

"My princess," Clara said before taking a deep breath. She sat at the edge of the bed and fetched my hand into his warm palms. Then she began to caress it gently, igniting more warmth.

"I'm sure we're going to find a probable solution to this. You should find Willick and ask for his explanations directly from him, and to do that, I suggest you join the search."

I nodded out of will, but really, heading from Willick was the best suggestion yet. So, I got out of bed and followed Clara to the court. She bowed and turned back once we were in front of the large metal door, then she retreated and exited.

My senses were heightened and it made me weak already. I could feel it in my bones, that a decision I wouldn't like was waiting for me behind the large door, and that it would be one that I wouldn't have a say in, but I couldn't beat the responsibility demanding that I enter anyway. If uncle Gary wanted me in the court, then it wasn't for a private conversation. The other officials would be present as well, and they had rights to their opinions, whatever those were going to be.

The door creaked in and open wide to the large room where four older men were seated across a large round table, with the room brimful of their thoughts. Once they turned towards my direction, I became static after the first step in.