Journey to the New Island

"Race you home, Mugs!" Cuphead called to his brother and took off down the streets of Inkwell Isle. His red and white straw clanged back and forth in his cup shaped head. The boys' black shirts were soaking up the sunlight, keeping their porcelain bodies nice and warm.

"Hey, no fair! You had a head start!" His younger sibling Mugman pouted back. But the red cup wasn't worried about leaving his brother behind. For he knew that the young mug could easily outrun him any day of the week. Within a few seconds, Mug was pulling ahead of Cuphead. Sometimes Cup thought his brother's straight straw gave him an advantage. For his curved straw tended to like to try and dangle in front of his face. Especially when it was hot and it started to droop.

"Spoonfred seems to be doing very well, don't you think, Cup?" He asked as he turned around to run backwards.

"Show off." The young cup muttered under his breath.

"What was that?" Mugman asked, knowing fully well what his brother had just said. He then spun around to run alongside the young cup.

"I said, yeah. Spoonfred seems very happy with his life."

The young spoon to which the boys were referring had been on his own for a while. Mugman had helped him find the courage to break away from his abusive father. Since then, the utensil had been hopping around and bunking with various residents of Inkwell Isle. He would help them with their work and chores and in return they would give him food and a place to sleep.

"I just wish he had a place to stay permanently, you know?" Mug persisted.

"Sometimes I think Djimmi considers taking him in." His sibling offered.

"And I think Hilda might be seriously considering it, too." The cup brothers went silent for a second. They had traveled off the paved roads and padded across the grass with the vast ocean peeking at them from their left. "Do you think we should say something to them?" Mugman probed.

"Like what?" The young cup inquired.

"Hey, ho! Cup brothers! Over here!" A male voice called to them. The boys skidded to a stop in their brown boots and looked to where the voice came from. Over by the dock was a stranger clothed in a blue robe. His face looked like a compass with all four cardinal directions marked as single letters on the golden rim. A ring sat atop his head almost as if it could be used as a keychain. The gold directional needle passed under his red nose and acted as his mustache. Curious, Cup and Mug ventured over to see who this person was.

"The Legendary Chalice bid me carry a message to you. She needs your help. A far-off isle...a mysterious discovery..." He handed the brothers a letter that seemed legitimate. They looked over the parchment, reading every detail of it (or at least Mugman was, anyways).

"Sure looks like her writing." Cuphead noted. "Let's go at once!" His adventurous streak got the best of him.

"Wait a minute, Cuphead." Mug warned and placed a gloved hand on his shoulder. "We can't just wander off to a mysterious island without telling Elder Kettle."

"You're right. But let's make it quick. Who knows if Chalice is in trouble?" The young cup folded up the paper and stuck it in the pocket of his red shorts. They then nodded to one another before setting off for their house. "We'll be right back, mister!" Cup waved to the stranger.

"I'll be here...." He said in a bored manner. The arrow end of his mustache ticked down once as he slumped and leaned on his wooden paddle. He reached up and fixed it so that it stood horizontal across his face again.