Another Thwarted Escape

Down in Chef Saltbaker's lair, the caught children and their cat sat in the oversized jar. Waiting their turn to be taken out and dealt with based on how merciful the salt shaker was feeling. Spoonfred definitely fared better than Mugman, that they knew for sure. The young utensil was determined to get his mug friend out of there before the chef came back for him. But what were they to do? It's not like there was a ladder they could climb out of. Spoonfred looked about. No ideas were coming to his little concave head. So he turned to the person that usually did have a plan.

"So what's the plan, Mugman?" He asked.

"Rest. And hopefully I'll have the strength to do something when he eventually comes to cut Tsundere out again." Mug explained, keeping his head low as he hugged his knees close. He did not meet the utensil's gaze.

"There's gotta be something we can do!" The spoon urged.

"Like what?" The mug child began to look up and partially meet Spoonfred's eyes.

"I don't know....is there a way to find out what he's after by using your demon?"

"I know what he's doing." The blue mug said tersely. "He's using Tsundere to search the astral plane for his wife. Years ago, she was taken away by a demon into the astral plane."

But they wouldn't have stayed there. Neither of them would survive very long in that desolate place. It's meant to be used as a gateway, not a place for mortals to live. Tsundere explained to Mugman.

"If only we could get him to understand what the astral plane is really like. But he's not going to believe Tsundere – or what I tell him Tsundere is saying, I mean." Mug sighed. "Ms. Chalice would know what the astral plane is like. She goes in and out of it all the time. It makes sense that she wants to get out of there if it's as bad as Tsundere says. It makes me wonder if that Wondertart Chef Saltbaker was making for her would even work?" He stared off into the distance contemplating this.

"What's a Wondertart?" Spoonfred's question brought him back to reality.

"Not sure." Mugman confessed. "All the chef said was that it would help Ms. Chalice have control over what physical form she would possess."

"I think I have an idea about how we can learn more." The young spoon stood up and knocked on the jar. "Hey, Mr. Saltbaker! Over here!" He yelled. The fur on Kiki's back puffed up at the utensil's sudden change in volume.

"Sh! What are you doing?" Mug questioned.

After a few seconds, the salt shaker came over.

"What do you want now? I'm busy." He said in an annoyed manner.

"I want to help you with this...Wondertart."

"What? How do you know about the Wondertart?" Saltbaker seemed surprised that the young spoon knew of this.

"Mugman told me." Spoonfred answered. The young mug then turned toward the chef to ask him a question while he was here.

"You were never planning to give it to Ms. Chalice, were you?"

"Heh, now you're catching on, kid." The salt shaker chuckled in a satisfied manner.

"What exactly does this Wondertart do?" Spoonfred asked innocently.

"It will give the one who consumes it full control over the physical state of their body. To put in simpler terms, change between ghost and mortal at will. I need this ability to find her..." He trailed off, seeming to get a bit emotional over the subject.

"Find who?" The utensil asked, even though Mugman had already told him. That way he didn't seem like a little know-it-all. Better to let Saltbaker talk it out.