Escape Plan?

Upon reaching solid ground again, Mugman found that he was in the different spot than when he had gone up. The ladder rolled back up to the castle that hovered around, seemingly without any goal or destination. It was much colder in this part of the island. There even seemed to be a few snowflakes falling around him. Just his luck, Cuphead and Ms. Chalice were coming up the path from the east.

"Hey, Mugs! Where ya been? We've been looking all over for you." His brother said. "You had me worried there for a bit..."

"I...I've been in a library." The young mug confessed.

"A library? Blegh! Why would you want to spend time in a library when there's so much to see and do around here?" Cup asked him.

"Well, while you were off being nerdy in the library, we collected the rest of the ingredients. That Wondertart will be mine in no time!" Ms. Chalice beamed and greedily rubbed her hands together. Mugman eyed the ingredients they had gathered. They were piled nicely in a wheelbarrow so they could be moved around with ease.

"Great. That will make a good bargaining chip." Mug had not meant to say that out loud.

"Bargaining chip? For what?" His brother asked with a shrug.

"Hey, don't you be giving my future away to someone else now!" The ghostly chalice sassed at him, moving her hands to her ghostly hips.

"No, no! They are going to Saltbaker." He assured her. "I just need something from him first." Mugman grabbed the wheelbarrow out from under their noses. "We have to go quickly! There's no time to lose! Please follow me!" The young mug yelled as he ran off with the ingredients, his voice trailing off as he gained distance between them.

"Wait up, Mugs! You know I can't keep up with you!" Cuphead called after him and then gave an exasperated sigh.

"What's got his pants on fire?" Chalice asked, pointing a transparent thumb in the mug's general direction.

"I don't know, but he seems upset about something. We should follow." They began their trek after the young mug.

Mugman rushed to the bakery. He had no doubt that his brother would follow. For he intended to make the trade before Chalice got there so she wouldn't freak out about the ingredients being ransomed. By the time he reached the chef's wine cellar, Mugman was breathing loudly. His heart pounded furiously in his chest. The young mug was running out of breath and had to stop for a minute. His weight leaned against the wheelbarrow. The dragon-worm's words played through his head: You will not get very far if you run in there in such a hasty manner.

"Slow down. I need to be calm and collected about this. No name-calling or insulting. We are just going to be civil about this." He told himself. Mug took a deep breath and entered the back room. He could hear Saltbaker talking to somebody.

Wait...I think I know that voice. Mugman tiptoed around, being careful not to be noticed just yet. He peered around the corner to find Forkington talking with the salt shaker. What's Forkington doing here? He wondered.

"Here's the rest of the ingredients for your secret spice, Mr. Saltbaker." Forkington said and plopped down a sack of ingredients at the salt shaker's feet.

"Excellent!" The chef beamed and picked them up. He set them down on a countertop that barely had space for the sack to fit.

"You sure have a lot of cooking tools out." The utensil noted. "You expecting company for dinner?"

"Why yes. I expect them to be here any minute now." Saltbaker replied.

"Who is it? ....if you don't mind me asking." Forkington probed.