A Salty Situation

Cuphead raced after the salt shaker as he headed for his tools. The young cup rounded the corner to find Saltbaker at his table. The chef chopped up ingredients with his glittering, oversized butcher knife. His weapon swept the food items off the table. They seemed to gain magical properties and floated towards Cuphead. Sugar cubes floated up and down in the cup child's general direction. Lime slices swiveled around like boomerangs. That distillery dough formed itself into animal-like shapes that bounded toward him.

Cup did his best to duck and weave around the ingredients he had once collected. Good to know that they were all going to waste now, huh? What was the point of gathering all those ingredients if he wasn't going to use them? Cuphead wondered. Or they weren't being used for their intended purpose, that is.

The red cup was able to come out of that menagerie with minimal injuries; nicked on the shoulder with a sugar cube and a little lime juice in his cup. At first the sour liquid didn't seem to have an effect.

"That all you got?" Cuphead taunted. But then he realized that lime juice was starting to settle in. There was a fierce stinging that came up behind his eyes. Water forcibly came out of them as he reached up to rub the awful stuff out. He cried out in pain. The red cup stopped with his incessant rubbing just in time to see the salt shaker rush him. Saltbaker turned to the side and shoved the child with his shoulder. A shelf rattled as Cuphead got slammed into it. Miraculously, none of its contents spilled out on the ground.

Cup looked up and saw the chef advancing on him again. The throbbing pain in his back made him a little stiff. Despite this hindrance, he lifted his hand and unleashed a stream of blue peashooter shots at his adversary. Saltbaker grunted from the unexpected bullet-like shots. The glass person did his best to deflect the pellets with his shining knife. Only a small percentage of them actually got deflected. Most of them found their target and succeeded in slowing the salt shaker down.

Saltbaker watched as the child stopped shooting but then thrust both of its fists forward. A large pulse of blue energy came at him like an explosive rocket. And that's just what it did. The energy exploded on Saltbaker sending him across the room. His knife went spiraling out of his hand in the chaos. Its blade side got stuck in a crack in the tile's anatomy. They both saw the weapon open for grabs and rushed for it. Cup's gloved hand grabbed it first, but the chef held onto his hand before he could pull the knife out.

"Let go, kid. You're messing with a power that you don't understand." The salt shaker said to the cup child.

"So are you!" Cuphead spat back.

"Your brother was going to be the last ingredient for the Wondertart....unless you want to take his place?" The chef taunted him.

"No!" Cup yelled and used his free hand to start pelting the man with his red spread shot. Eight arrowheads rapidly released from his finger and dealt damage to the salt shaker, who cried out in agony. Those magic shots at close range dealt lots of damage. As soon as Saltbaker let go of his hand, the young cup began to use his other hand to utilize yet another attack while Saltbaker was near. His other hand changed up and started to use the new crack shot. The pinkish magic shells opened up and homed in on the chef as he tried to back away from this barrage. Cracking noises could be heard as Saltbaker's glass casing weakened. But Cuphead did not let up until his adversary had collapsed in the corner of the room.

"This is just a mere taste of what I can do to you." The young cup threatened, both his fingers still poised to fire. "Do not come after us anymore, you understand?" But the salt shaker just sat there in a slumped manner. His half-open eyes stared at the floor, not reacting. "Hey, did you hear me? I know you're not dead!" Cuphead said and poked his nose.