The Inkwell Archives

Mugman had climbed the ladder to the floating castle in the sky. The young mug took a moment to gawk at the magnificent castle as he made it to the top. It was a massive structure that was held together with blocks of varying shades of silver and gray. The tops of the spires were red with turbines attached to their peaks. Amazingly, those little propellers kept the entire structure high above the ground.

"Another little cup to come play in my games! Wonderful!" A voice beamed. Mug looked over and saw a man that looked like a living piece from a chess board. A king piece to be exact. He wore a king's dress with a red shirt piece that had yellow diamond-shaped decorations on it. The bottoms were a two-toned blue color, his shoes being the same light blue color as part of his pants. A long red cape draped over his shoulders and all the way down to the ground. It had a frilly white trim along the edge. At the king's face, his skin tone was yellow, had a white bushy mustache, a small pink nose, and a large crown on his head. The very top of it was round with the two-toned blue. Around the sides was a silver trim that went up and out like arrowheads. In the middle of these arrowheads were gems, alternating between pink and blue colors. The chess piece also held a golden staff with a crown-like decoration at the top.

"I am the King of Games

"I am the King of Games." He announced. "And you have made it to the King's Leap, young cup....something only the true warriors of the world can claim." The king whispered that last part to him.

But Mug didn't really care what the King was saying at this point. The most important thing was to find Cuphead and Ms. Chalice to get their help.

"Where's my brother? I need to talk to him!" Mugman panted.

"Yes, of course. He's right down in here." The king's white glove pointed to a large opening into the castle. Mug noticed the wooden plank leading up to the opening. This was a drawbridge that currently was open. Did that mean there was a moat beneath? Mugman didn't have time to ponder that now. Without another word to the king, the young mug raced inside. He traveled down a long hallway that was lined with a red carpet on the floor. It eventually opened up into what seemed to be a spacious living room. The red carpet finally ended, revealing the black and white checkered floor. Toward the back of the room was a fireplace with a couple chairs and a suit of armor near it. Above the fireplace was a blue banner that had a picture of a white horse head and neck.

Before the young mug stood his brother and the golden chalice. There was a third person in the room. It was an anthropomorphic horse that was wearing armor. The horse's torso had the same red shirt piece with yellow diamond-shaped decorations as the king. The armor on its arms, legs and neck was silver. Attached to its right arm was a golden shield and a sword dangled from its left hand. A golden knight's helmet closed over its eyes. Small holes provided places for its ears to stick out of the armor. The only part of its body that was truly exposed was its gray muzzle. Even its mane seemed to be fortified. For it stood straight up in a rigid manner and glowed a bright pink. The equine held a goofy smile on its face as the legs frantically danced around, coaxing the young cups to come and attack him.