XXI

TIME FLEW BY FAST. Before long the tomorrow Olivia no longer dreaded became two weeks. The prince settled in quite quickly wandering the halls, if not meekly, comfortably and on his own accord. With a continuous healthy diet he'd gained a few inches in his time in the Auclair mansion as well, growing from being level with Olivia's nose to be able to look her in the eyes without problem.
Ezekiel had started all his lessons without problem within that time as well, he'd began his classes with Ophelia but quickly tested out of those, he was a fast learner and quite gifted in swordsmanship if the rumors Olivia heard about the training grounds were anything to go by. Soon enough he joined Olivia in her own classes with the occasional Amos, always the one to invite the himself over.

Weeks turned to months and Ezekiel settled in alongside the Auclairs without a hitch. He excelled in his classes and lessons, praises and conversions seemed to flood the halls about the young Prince. Soon they began bringing him to events with them, curtesy of Olivia, small things at first; tea parties, birthday gatherings, but eventually branched out to balls and the like.
Rumors starting circulating about the Prince from almost his first ever outing, always praising the Duke and Duchess for teaching the boy so well in such a short amount of time. Ezekiel never seemed to be bothered by the lack of attention to his own hard work.

Amos and Ezekiel's relationship was comforting to say the least. Olivia had been worried about how they would react to each other being enemies in the novel and all but they seemed to get along well enough, they bickered and fought here and there but it seemed healthy. They laughed it off together at the end of the day and both seemed to find some kind of sick pleasure in giving Olivia a hard time. And if she smiled so much her cheeks were sore at the end of the day, well, who else was there to see it anyway.

A few years later, when Amos turned ten, he'd gotten an letter from the academy. "Early acceptance," He'd said smugly, "Ya'know they don't just give these out to anybody! It just goes to show how great I am." He beamed with pride.
Olivia knew this would happen, it was a prominent event his life and background. Ezekiel was visibly upset, he tried to cover it up with faux jealousy but the little red haired prince was a horrible liar. Ezekiel wouldn't leave for another year as per the usual protocol, acceptance for the academy was, at the youngest, twelve years old.
Ezekiel followed soon, just the following year, and was ruthless in his pursuit to check up with the white haired sorcerer. They'd come to visit on the rare breaks from school they'd been allowed and sent letters whenever they could, mostly Ezekiel him always being the more openly affectionate of the three, but Amos sent his occasional check in and Olivia saved every piece of paper in a small box in her nightstand. For informational purposes of course.

For Olivia's twelfth birthday the Auclairs had thrown an all out ball, but she'd be foolish if she thought it was for her actual birthday and not because she was a duke's daughter and needed to start expanding her social circle. What better day to remind everyone of the great Duke of Auclair's wealth and power then on the very year that would determine Olivia's fate in society and the world as a whole? She leaned against the balcony railing outside the ballroom, her back facing the doors. Olivia was never one for big parties with loads of people she didn't even know the existence of before that very day.
She wore a light, off the shoulder beige dress, adorned with pearls and laces and frills, Estelle had spent hours on her hair and makeup even though Olivia insisted on something 'simple and natural'. Her hair was curled at the bottoms and pulled half up with a bun and braids. Shiny golden strings were tied throughout her hair, a pearl necklace and hanging earrings with some light blue gem—Olivia couldn't remember the name of—completed her look.

She brought a gloved hand up to rest her chin on. If all went right, Olivia should be getting her acceptance letter to the academy within the month. She would be lying if she said she wasn't nervous. Twelve years in this place and she was finally starting to move forward to the plot—and maybe a way home (She wouldn't let herself hope).
With the bustle of party behind her and her head lost in her thoughts Olivia barely noticed the sets of footsteps approaching her until a red headed boy popped himself into her peripheral vision. Shocked, she turned her head toward the smiling boy.