Chapter 3 - Growing Awareness

As the cold winter air blew against my back, I stepped into the cafe Kanon's family runs, tired but moving forward the same as always. With exams coming up, I realized that I've been slacking on doing any studying, and so I've paused everything else to focus on that in the leadup to exams. Now however, I've been hitting a brick wall, and I figured a change of scenery might help with that. I've cooped myself up in my room for way too long now.

"Welcome! Oh you're the boy whose been getting along with Kanon so well lately." Mrs Shibuya said from behind the counter

"Uh yeah, that's right." I said, "I'm not here today to visit her or anything like that though. I thought I'd just get something good to eat while I study."

"Is that right? Well alright, but it's fine if you did want to visit her." She said as I took a seat at the counter

"Right." I said before ordering. It would be nice to visit her after I finish up here, but for the moment I ought to see if a change of scenery really is gonna help me get back into the swing of things. While my order is getting prepared, I pull out my notebook, trying to review the english lessons I'm so abysmally bad at.

Kanon's Perspective

As I sat in my room, Keke's words to me the day she met Y/n popped back into my head for what feels like the hundredth time. At the time, I was embarrassed and I was so self-conscious of it the whole I was with Y/n, but before that day, I had never thought anything of how things were between me and Y/n. I knew that me and Y/n were just friends and I really appreciated what kind of person he was. But after Keke had left and we got closer to my house, as Y/n and I walked side by side, what he said to me and the soft smile he said it with made my heart pound like never before. And now whenever I think of him, I feel a tightness in my chest, and I can't help but worry about how I act around him. Do I seriously have feelings for him?

As I thought of that, I heard a knock on my door, and figuring that it's probably my sister or something I got up to answer it. However, as I opened the door, I was caught off guard by Y/n standing right in front of me.

Y/n's Perspective

As I stood in front of Kanon, her eyes widened slightly, and I got to see what she looked like at home, with her bangs up and her hair tied up in a bun, as well as wearing glasses. I gotta admit, I never really thought about what she'd look like when relaxing at home, but I'm kinda glad I got to see it

"Y/n? What are you doing here?" Kanon asked

"I came by the cafe to have a change of pace while studying, but before I leave, I wanted to come visit you." I said. Mrs Shibuya was actually the one who told me how to get to Kanon's room, not that I would've gone up without that kind of info, I've always felt uncomfortable going to places in people's homes where I'm not expected to go.

"You did? Ah, come in then." Kanon said, stepping away from the doorway so I could come into her room. "So I guess you've been studying harder for exams, huh?"

"Yeah, with them being next week, I realized I've been severely slacking." I said, giving her a slight smile before I said "I really should've been paying more attention, I guess."

The two of us spent a bit talking about what's been going on between us, and while things have been uneventful for me, I really hadn't thought about how eventful this December has been for Kanon. All I can do for her though is to cheer her on the best I can, even if that's usually something she doesn't directly hear since we don't attend the same school, but still, I'm hoping for only the best for her and her friends.

In the end I had ended up losing track of time, only realizing that it was getting late when I saw the setting sun outside her window. As I saw it, my eyes widened and I pulled out my phone, checking the time. "Crap, I'm supposed to help Mom with dinner tonight." I groaned as I realized what had happened. I was gonna get an earful when I got home, but since I was already gonna get one, what was the harm in taking my time saying goodbye?

"What's wrong?" Kanon asked, wondering why I suddenly checked my phone and groaned.

"It's just later than I expected so I gotta get home. Still, I was really enjoying myself until now. I guess when it's just me and you, I kinda just get caught up in the moment, you know?" I said, smiling at her

Kanon's face seemed to go a bit more flush there, and as she nodded at me, she smiled and said "Yeah, I know what you mean."

I then grabbed my bag and as I headed towards the door, I waved "Talk to you later Kanon. Peace."

I then left her room, only afterwards starting to wonder if what I said at the end there might've been mistaken for flirting or something, and as I felt myself get embarrassed slightly at how I've started to just say what pops into my head when I'm with her, I start heading home, smiling from the time I enjoyed myself otherwise.

Kanon's Perspective

After he left, I let out a small sigh of relief. Him seeing me like this with my hair tied up like this and my glasses on worried me for a second, not knowing what he'd think about he'd think of me being dressed up so casually compared to usual, but seeing him pay no mind to it and act like his normal self eased those feelings so quickly. The way he smiles and laughs, noticing small things like that which I found so charming, and what he actually said to me, it made me realize my feelings, and as soon as I did, I felt way more at ease as I stopped having to ask myself how I felt about him. I really am in love with Y/n, and while I don't really know how I'd tell him, I'd really love it if someday me and Y/n could someday become an actual couple.

--------------------------------------------

A/n: I'm not exactly batting a thousand with the titles for this fic, but I'm enjoying myself writing the actual fic and I hope you are too. Plus there should be another chapter out pretty soon, depending of when I get the next chapter of The Wildflower out, it'll hopefully be either Friday or Saturday