Chapter 10 - Letting The Heart Speak

As I walked down the street, the summer heat blaring overhead, I let out a yawn as I walked, the heat tiring me out more than I'd like. Today I'm planning to meet up with the relative who has become my mentor when it comes to silverworking, to talk about my goals after highschool such as deciding which vocational school I should go to so I can learn more about finer details of making jewelry and cutting gems, as well as seeing if a friend of his will take me for an apprenticeship. He also will give me a critique on my work since I haven't been coming by to work at his place on the weekends ever since my third year started. I owe him a lot since he's been a major help in driving this ambition of mine forward.

I stretched out as I walked when I saw up ahead of me was a head of white hair, and knowing who it was, sped up enough to catch up to her before I said "Hey Chisato, what's up?"

Chisato looked at me and smiled before she said "Oh hey Y/n, I was actually going to Kanon's place."

"Figures, tell her I say hey, will you?" I said

"So where are you going Y/n?" Chisato asked

"I'm meeting up with somebody. For a little while at least we're gonna be going the same way." I said

"Oh yeah? Well then I guess this is a chance to talk, just the two of us." Chisato said

I nodded my head and said "Sounds good, it sounds better than walking over in silence."

"I've also been meaning to ask you something: Kanon mentioned that you two haven't been able to meet up too often lately because of how busy you've been, and I was wondering what exactly it was." Chisato said

I felt a tinge of guilt as I said "I've been working a part time job as well as practicing making jewelry. In the end, there's something I need to be able to do the best I can, and for that I'm gonna need to be as good as I can, as well have the money for resources for it. Granted I've still got a year or so at least, but I still want to make sure I can do the best I can."

I'll wait for her answer before I do anything, but I still want to be prepared for that day.

There was a flash of recognition on her face as she realized what I meant and said "So that's why. In that case, I get it but don't forget to take some more breaks, I can tell Kanon has been wanting to spend more time with you."

I nodded with a small smile and said "I'll keep that in mind, now this is where I gotta split, see you later."

As I turned and left, I heard Chisato behind me say "Alright, see you later Y/n."

—-----------------------------------------------

Kanon's Perspective

As I walked through town with Chisato, I pushed the thought that had been on my mind recently and had left wandering slightly, wanting to just enjoy some time with Chisato. The past few days I've had Y/n's proposal last December stuck in my head. I ended up caught off guard and said that it was too sudden, and he accepted that and told me he'd wait. He doesn't bring it up unless I mention it first since he doesn't want to feel like he's forcing that conversation on me. And in the end it made me happy to know he felt that way about me, that he wanted to spend his life with me. But still, we had only been dating for nine months back then and closer to a year and a half now, and so with how big of a decision marriage is, though I love Y/n so much, I don't know if we should go that far so soon.

As we walked through the park, talking about what we'd been doing before, Chisato's expression lit up as she said "I just realized I left something back where we were eating, I'll be right back."

Chisato then ran back to where we came from to get what she left, leaving me there to wait for her. As I stood there, my mind started to wander again, when I heard somebody behind me say Y/n's name. I turned to look and saw him sitting on a bench nearby talking to somebody, I'm guessing the relative who taught him how to make accessories.

"It seems like your work is pretty good considering how long you've been doing it, but don't forget to take breaks, you know?" the man said

"I won't, I just want to be as good as I can so if Kanon someday agrees to marry me, I can make an engagement ring that's worthy of her." Y/n said

"Still though, like I keep saying, are you really sure about doing it? You're both still in highschool, so I dunno if you should be thinking about marriage this soon." his relative said

In the end, I heard a small chuckle from Y/n as he said "Maybe, but in the end it's how I really feel. I love her, and whenever I slow down for a minute and just think about her, she inspires me to be better than the current me, but even stronger than those feelings is the fact that I feel like I found the one, and want to be able to be beside her for the rest of my life. And so no matter how early it may seem, I know that proposing to her was the right choice for me."

I felt myself smiling as I heard Y/n's explanation. He really feels that strongly about this, and that makes me so happy. Rather than hear anymore I head elsewhere for Chisato to meet up with me, and as I wait, I take a deep breath and just think about how I feel about Y/n. He first caught my attention because of how hard he worked so that he could help others, but the more time I spent with him, the more I got to see the person underneath, how he's an idealist, how passionate he can be about the things that interest him, and how hard he can be on himself. There are so many things I love about Y/n, and as I thought to myself, I came to a decision, and sent Y/n a text, asking him to meet me in the park tonight.

—-----------------------------------------------------

Y/n's Perspective

With my mood already improved after how things went with my relative earlier and how I have things figured out for graduation, I walked through the park, the moon's light reflecting off the nearby river in the same way it did the last night I came to meet Kanon here. Well, whatever the reason she wants to meet up, I'm here and I always will be.

As I saw her up ahead, looking out at the river, I said "I'm here Kanon, so what did you wanna talk about?"

As she turned to face me, I saw her face was slightly flush, and after she walked to meet up with me, she said "Y/n, it's about your proposal from December, I have my answer for you now."

I felt a tinge of nervousness as I realized that the question I've been waiting for is finally being answered, and said "Oh yeah?"

Kanon nodded her head and said "Yeah. I've been thinking lately about us. I've loved you for so long, and I feel like even back in Middle School, even if I didn't know, I had feelings for you. I loved you for your compassion and how you worked to push yourself for others at first, but after we met again, I kept finding more and more things that I loved about you. You've been special to me for so long, and while I was thinking about you today, I couldn't help but feel like I met my soulmate before I ever would have suspected, and it makes me so happy. I want to spend the rest of my life with you Y/n, and so I'd be so happy if I could someday become your wife."

I felt grinning as I heard her words, and while I wanted to hug her right here and now, I decided that beforehand there was something I wanted to do first. "In that case how about I start from the top?" I said, holding her hand I got on one knee and said "Kanon Shibuya, for the entire time I've known you, you've always been so amazing to me, and I'm so lucky that those feelings in the end turned into love, you'll always be the most beautiful woman in the world to me, and so I ask, will you marry me?"

Kanon, her face flush, nodded and said "I'd love to marry Y/n, of course I will."

I then stood up and under the moonlit sky, wrapped her in a hug as I gave her a kiss, my heart pounding in my chest with joy as we held each other close. As our lips parted, I said to her "Thank you Kanon, I promise I'll make you happy."

As we held each other, Kanon gave me a smile as she said "You already do Y/n, more than could possibly realize."

------------------------------------------------

A/n: Cue title drop. In any case, I'll do the best I can to get the finale out to all you fine folks tomorrow evening at the same. I hope you'll all enjoy it as we reach the end of this story.