Chapter 1

Mîrrómen's POV

It had been two weeks since we had run away. I found I had overestimated how long half-aunir could last without food. Poor Iltani was barely holding on to Tau's mane. Tau's paws were sore from so much travel. As for me, I could barely keep Iltani from falling of the lion.

Yet another thing worried me, some sores had formed where Iltani and I had sat, on both beast and riders. Iltani now wept openly when Tau galloped, and Tau growled when I approached him. I could hardly keep from weeping, for my sores would pop and bleed, staining Tau's snow white fur. Tau was now stopping, I looked up to see a group of elves on horseback. In the center of the group were a dark haired ellon and a fire-haired one. I knew them to be my mother's brothers. I pulled out mother's headband and held it out to them.

Suddenly my eyes shut and I felt Iltani and myself slip off Tau's back. I felt rough but gentle hands lift me off the wet ground. A soothing voice told us that we would be alright. Iltani gave a cry of pain, someone had touched her sores.

I felt as though we were being carried and laid somewhere soft and warm. A bowl was held to my mouth and I drank the warm, salty broth so eagerly they took it away for a moment. I gave a whine and the soothing voice said. "Slowly, little one, or you shall be ill." The bowl returned and I drank slower, not wanting the tastiest food I had ever had to be taken away again.

I kept trying to drink the broth after it was gone. "Silly elfling," the soothing voice laughed. "There is no more. You can have more later if your stomach can take it." A gentle hand ran through my hair and I sighed in contentment.

Many hours later I heard my sister stirring and I opened my eyes. We were in a bright room with two little white beds. There was a fireplace in the far side of the room, in which a cheery fire crackled merrily. I looked over at Iltani. She was still asleep on her bed, eyes closed and a small smile on her face. Her silvery gold hair was in waves on either side of her as her chest rose and fell.

I heard the door open and looked towards it. Our dark haired uncle entered the room. He had a kind face, and he carried two small bowls full of food. "Hello," he said with a gentle smile. "I'm glad you have awakened." He was so cheery that I smiled back.

"You must have had quite the journey." "We did," I said with a voice that was rough from disuse. "For two weeks we have traveled now." "Where did you get the headband?" My uncle asked gently.

"It was my Nana's." I said said simply. "Who is she?" My uncle asked softly. "Mírë of the house of Fëanor, the headband was made by his hand."

"I-is she still living?" My uncle asked eagerly, I shook my head sadly. "She died shortly after Iltani was born, I never knew her." "That is a shame." He said with a pitying look in his doe brown eyes.

"Which of her brothers are you?" I asked cautiously. "I am Maglor, the second born." "Do you still play the harp?" "Yes, on occasion." Maglor said with a smile.

"Who is your father?" Maglor asked, I looked away. "You'll hate us when I tell you." I mumbled sadly. "I will not," Maglor promised me. "It is not your fault."

"My father is Morgoth." I said sadly. "Iltani's father is Sauron. We ran away because we were afraid." Maglor looked confused as I said this.

"But why were you afraid?" He asked softly. "Did they mistreat you?" "Not on purpose," I told him. "But they never fed me the right things. And we were left alone more often than not. No, we were afraid of them using us to hurt others."

"You are shockingly smart for and elfling." Maglor commented as he ran a hand through my hair. "I'm only half-elven." I reminded him, he laughed. "Yes, I know."

There was a comforting pause as Maglor gave me the bowl of broth and helped Iltani drink from hers. Iltani still hadn't awoken and it worried me greatly. "We have a pair of half-elven children here already." Maglor said as he fed my sister the broth. "Their names are Elrond and Elros. I think you shall be friends."

"We can stay?" I asked in surprise. "Of course," Maglor laughed. "You are kin... it would be cruel to send you away. Besides, you are still ill."

Iltani had finished her broth by this time, and Maglor gathered our dishes. "You'll feel better by tomorrow." He told me as I lay back down. His hand ran through my hair, and I slowly fell back asleep.