Chapter 11

Melkor's POV

"Well?" I asked my court as they nervously came before me. "We have news, my lord." The vampire from before said. "There was a set of twins kept by Maedhros, who now live with king Gil-galad, both the king and Maedhros are very fond of them."

"Are they our babies?" Mairon asked hopefully, she shook her head. "No, my lord." "Then why give us such useless news as a report?!" I snarled to my court as they backed away in terror.

"The king and Maedhros are fond of them," the vampire repeated. "If we were to capture those twins..." "We could hold them hostage for our babies, or anything else we could ask for!" I laughed, happy to have a real plan at last. "Go! But don't hurt them."

"Why my lord?" Asked one of my orc captains. "Because," I replied with a leering smile. "I have no doubts the elves will want them back in one piece." My court burst into laughter as they left the throne room.

"Master?" Mairon asked, for the first time ever, timidly. "What are you going to do if they do capture those twins?" "Hold them hostage, like Maedhros." I replied absentmindedly.

"What if they still say no?" He asked... again timidly, I shrugged. "Please," my trusted lieutenant choked tearfully. "Please Master, don't make my torment children. I'll see my Iltani. Please, don't hurt those children, please."

"I won't," I said gently. "If they still say no... we'll just have to keep them. Like pets or some such thing." "We will take care of them, master?" Mairon asked tearfully. "I swear that they shall be well cared for." I promised.

"Do you remember," Mairon asked as he sniffled. "When we first started taking care of the babies?" "Go work on fixing a place for the twins to stay Mairon," I ordered. "I wish to be alone." "Yes master." I shut my eyes and fell into my memories.

*flashback*

"No!" I sobbed as I held my dying wife's hand. "You can't leave us Mírë! Think of the babies!" "I've left them in good hands," she groaned as her blood poured out of her. "T-take care of them. Especially the tiny one... I've written down the names I chose for them."

"Mírë, don't you dare leave me." I cried, pleading with her. "Lord Námo is calling, love, I have to go." She said painfully. "I won't let him take you away!" I wailed, she simply smiled gently. "You can't stop it, Melkor... t-take good care- of the- babies."

And just like that, my precious diamond was gone. Mairon rushed into the room, having felt our bond snap. He was sobbing, wailing helplessly. "The tiny baby isn't breathing." "I won't lose another!" I growled with tears in my eyes.

I rushed to the room where elvish nurses tried to make the baby breathe. The boy was wailing. I picked up the lifeless baby and forced my power into her. Unlike my wife, the baby was perfectly formed and healthy, other than not breathing. All she needed was a shock to the heart.

All at once, she started crying... then laughing! She giggled and wiggled her tiny body in delight. I gave a laugh of delight, the baby was alive! "What is her name?" Mairon asked the nurses. The nurses looked at one another, then one said. "Núrien,the queen named her 'daughter of sorrow.'"

"What?" I said. "She would never. You must have misunderstood her quite badly." "W-we heard her-" "She never would have called such a sweet, happy baby... she was apologizing, she meant 'daughter, I'm sorry."

I looked down at the girl, she was cooing happily at me. "We are all sorry that you have no Ammë, little one," I told her. "But from now on, no one shall be as lucky or happy as you." "I name her Iltani," Mairon declared joyously. "'Lucky'. Not even Lúthien shall be as lovely as she."

The nurses smiled in approval as I held the child aloft. "And her mother's name shall be Meren, 'party', a fitting name for one who laughs so much." I handed Mairon his baby and he cooed at her happily before I scooped my son into my arms.

I nuzzled his tiny, fuzzy head gently and kissed his nose. My son went cross eyed. "You shall be called Mîrrómen, 'uprising jewel,' for that is what you are." My baby cooed his approval. I smiled, I had lost my wife... but now I had her babies."

*end flashback*

"And even if I don't get them back," I muttered darkly to myself. "Those elves will know how it feels to have your baby stolen from you."