Chapter 25

Langon's POV

I trembled as I hid in the last safe place I could find. Since the War of Powers, Mairon had been trying to find my spirit in order to unmake me. I had at last found what I thought was a safe place. A large, hidden valley away from Angband. Here, I felt completely hidden from even Melkor.

There was strong magic protecting the place... occasionally an orc would settle here, or an elf that had once been enslaved, but nothing too powerful. Today was different... I felt Mairon's power. I whimpered as it got closer and closer-but that soft singing and harp music didn't belong to Mairon!

"Come out of hiding
You're safe here with me

There's no need to cover
What I already see."

I gave a choked sob as I heard that. Mairon already knew I was here.

"You must have reasons
But I hold your peace."

The song continued.

"You've been on lockdown
Now I hold the key.

Be rid of your shackles
My victory is yours

I left my home
For you to come close

There's no reason to stand
At a distance anymore

You're not far from home.

And I'll be your starlight
If you're lost at sea

And I will illuminate everything

No need to be frightened
By me , can't you see?

Just throw off your fear!
Come running to me."

I couldn't believe what this strange Mairon-like Maia was singing. She was trying to help me? I popped out of the stone I had been hidden in for over a decade to see... Mairon's golden eyes staring at me. But this was not Mairon.

No, there was gentleness in those eyes I had never seen in Mairon's. "Take it easy," the Maia said. "What were you doing in my lands? I sense Morgoth's taint upon you, and yet no vice is in you. You never would have found the valley if it were so."

"I-" I stuttered fearfully. "I'm called Langon, my lady." "I know not that name," the Maia said after a moment. "It means naught to me." "I-I was once Melkor's herald." I stammered anxiously.

"Hmmm," she said as her ear flicked back for a moment. "I did not know this. You are a lost Fëa, then?" I nodded in shame. "Stay here."

"What?" I gasped in shock, not believing my ears. "Stay in my lands," the lady said with a smile. "No one can harm you here. It is a safe place. All I ask is for you to not harm anyone and live in peace."

"B-but!" I tried to object to this kindness. I did not deserve it. "If you insist on making a show help me uphold the spell." The lady said laughingly. "I might need help. It drains me of much power."

"Yes my lady!" I agreed eagerly. Glad to have a way to redeem myself. "Call me Iltani, Langon." She laughed as she danced away playing her harp, leaving a trail of gold and silver flowers in her wake.