Chapter 19

Mîrrómen's POV

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN ILTANI ADOPTED AN ORC?!" Uncle Maedhros shrieked when he arrived at camp. "I can't make it more simple," I replied calmly. "What part are you having trouble understanding?"

"Everything from 'adopted' to 'orc.'" Uncle Maglor said while he crossed his arms. "Is this a joke?" "No," Elros said. "She adopted a baby orc. It's in her tent right now."

Muttering curses, Maedhros stormed towards her tent. "Iltani had better live up to her name," I said. "Her baby is in trouble." "I don't think Maedhros will want to deal with that." Elros said with a shudder.

I knew what he was referring to. A few days ago, someone had tried to hurt Gilglîn. Iltani had gone crazy, biting and scratching like a lion. Eventually, Silvarodo had taken over and the ellon ran off.

I knew how fiercely a mother defended her children, and I didn't think she'd let Uncle get off unscathed. Especially not if he touched her baby. She would beat him bloody... relative or not.

Meadhros's POV

I threw open the tent flap angrily, ready to scold Iltani for- for adopting that-that- thing! But to my shock she was sitting in the corner of the room, rocking something gently in her arms and singing a soft lullaby.

"Little one,
Little one,
Night time is nearing.

Little one,
Little one,
It's time for sleep.

Little one,
Little one
Stars are appearing,

Silver and gold
In the silent
And deep.

The roll of the river,
The song of the sea,
The hush of the darkening sky,

The rustling forest,
the whispering wind,
The sound of a soft lullaby.

For my little one,
Little one,
Come let me hold you.

Little one,
Little one,
Come here with me.

Little one,
Little one,
Haven't I told you?

You're the best little one
Ever could be."

She looked exhausted... but so... happy! The orcling cooed happily up at her as she kissed its tiny head. It... it was almost like an elven baby. I decided to make myself known and cleared my throat.

Iltani's head snapped up and her eyes narrowed. She held her baby closer and snarled. I saw wariness and fear in her eyes. She didn't trust me near her baby.

"I had heard," I said calmly as she glared at me. "That- that I had a great nephew. I-  I wish to see him." She watched me suspiciously before waving me closer. I peeked at the orcling in her arms.

He had very dark skin, just as all orcs did, happy yellow eyes that seemed glad to see me, and silver hair, like a Sinda. "He looks... elven." I said in amazement. She looked at me disdainfully. "Of course he does," she said with a huff. "Orcs don't look ugly until Morgoth makes them so."

"Oh?" I asked, now shocked. "Yes," she had tears in her eyes now. "I- once had many orc friends. Ada-" she choked on the name. "Ada took me to an orc village once. I- I thought it was for a friendly visit."

"I found several friends and we played all day. The- the next day, Ada took us all back to Angband. We were so happy. We thought we would play for a long time. We were so wrong."

She swallowed thickly as she cuddled her baby closer. "I wasn't aloud to play with them once we got there. They were all taken to a room with knives, and- I think you can picture what else. When they came out, they were... so disfigured and skinny. It was- the last I saw of them they told me it was to make them more fearful to the enemy."

Tears rolled down her cheeks and she swiftly brushed them away, lest they burn her baby. "What's his name?" I asked softly. There was a pause before Iltani said lovingly. "Gilglîn, my little star-gleam."