Chapter 21

Maeglin's POV

"So," Glorfindel said with a grin. "I heard you asked Lady Iltani for permission to court her." "That's not true," I protested as he slung his arm over my shoulder. "All I did was sing along to that song! Nothing more."

"So you have no feelings for the lady?" The golden-headed lord of flowers asked, still grinning. "I- I don't see how it is any of your business!" I snapped, Glorfindel dropped his smile and looked seriously at me.

"Maeglin," he said sternly. "We are in a war. Elves die. If you do not tell her soon, you may never get to." "Good." I said with tears gathering in my eyes.

"Lómion?" Glorfindel said in bewilderment. "She-" I said. She's something... pristine, perfect. And I'm... tainted. She could never love me."

"You don't know that." Glorfindel said comfortingly. "You're right," I replied. "And it's better this way. If I asked- if she said no- then it would be gone. At least this way I can dream."

Then I stalked off to find the princess. I may not be courting her, but if I couldn't do that, then I'd at least be her friend.

Iltani's POV

"Ammë?" Gilglîn yawned from where he had fallen asleep in the hay. "Leave soon?" "Yes, little star," I said as I checked my breeding lions. "Ammë just needs to check a few more things."

I was trying to find a way to make my lions quicker and better at turns. They were just too big and bulky to be practical in a close fight. Chau, who was now an old lion, came up and nudged me. I stroked his soft mane and watched the cubs. "It's not working." I muttered in frustration, for the cubs were just as bulky as their parents.

"What's not working, my lady?"Lómion's voice asked from the door. "Oh," I groaned. "My breeding plan. Horses are nice to ride on a trail, but not into battle. Cats, big ones, can defend their owners but-" "But?" Lómion asked, now interested.

"But they are too- too muscled! They won't be able to carry an elf and still be able to react as needed." I explained as I pulled my hair. "Is there a cat that's lean and fast?" Lómion asked.

"Yes but I have no way to-" Suddenly I stopped talking and laughed. "Of course! Cheetahs! They're the fastest thing living!"

"What is a cheetah?"Lómion inquired curiously. "A cat," I laughed. "They're about the size of a leopard but a lot faster and leaner. The only problem is that they live in the East, and the humans there aren't exactly friendly."

"Don't their merchants come through here on occasion?"Lómion asked. "It would be no loss to see if they could deliver one to you." "I don't need one," I said with a frown. "I need at least three pairs."

"What's that to you?" Lómion asked in confusion. "The very earth turns gold and silver when you dance, money is no issue." "They can be hard to catch." I said as I thought. "But maybe I'll do it anyway."

After thinking a moment I got up and woke Gilglîn. "Ammë fix?" He asked sleepily. I laughed and kissed his head gently. "I think so dear."

"Flowers?" He asked hopefully. I frowned, Morgoth seemed to be trying to suck all the joy out of the world. The flowers were almost all dead. "Ammë will dance some flowers for you." I promised as I carried him out of the stable.

Once out in the sunlight, I tried to dance. Flowers did spring up, but only a few of them. I wheezed, as the war went on, it only got harder to dance and have flowers spring up. All at once, I heard a flute playing the song Lómion had sang with me. I turned in shock to see him playing the flute.

"I- thought you might dance better with some music." He said sheepishly, I laughed and danced again. The flowers seemed to gush out of the ground now. Not just silver and gold, but also diamond and crystal.

"Pitty flowa!" Gilglîn exclaimed happily as I continued to dance. The flute became happier and my dance became more out of joy than force. I laughed happily. The war wasn't lost just yet.