2 - Tsahik

I have never been this close to an ikran. It has an incredible strong body, indescribable patterns of teal, purple, yellow, brown, every color imaginable. Although everything in Pandora is beautiful, it is impossible to truly grasp just how beautiful something is until you see it up close.

"Wow." I say quietly, Neteyam pets its head. I want to touch it so bad, it's so beautiful. I reach my hand out, and look to Neteyam for permission before making contact, he nods at me. My hand moves closer, softly touching its leathery skin. I feel it breathe, and every vibration from each of its most miniscule movements traveled through my hand, echoing through me. Such a strong creature was made up of many delicate pieces. It is everything I imagined and more.

"Are you ready?" He asks, breaking my focus, I smiles back and nod. Steadying myself on my good foot next to the ikran, Neteyam effortlessly mounts his creature, simultaneously connecting his braid to it. He extends his arm down to me, I reach up to him, but before I had time to blink, he swiftly swung me up and behind him like I weighed nothing. I feel a huge smile cross my face as I stroke the magnificent animal, admiring its beauty.

"You will need to hold on." Neteyam says, I can hear a smile in his voice, he is clearly entertained by my behavior. My eyes widen as he reaches behind him, gently taking my hands, wrapping my arms his torso. I stop breathing the second he touches me, I can only stare in disbelief. I force myself to inhale and settle in behind him. I am already here, I might as well try my best to act casual. I notice is calm breathing, and I can't seem to gain control of my own. If my mother finds out about this... My heart beats rapidly in her chest, surely he can feel it, I hope he knows it is out of excitement, not fear. I have only dreamt of flying. I close my eyes and focus on matching his breath.

There was no point in trying to catch my breath, because the beast shoots off the ground, and into the sky, we are soaring through the air in a matter of seconds. The air leaves my lungs again, the wind combs through my hair like never before, sending shivers down my spine. The air is so different at this height, light and cool, different from the humid, warm air down in the forest. My body feels full of a million butterflies, escaping through my chest, through laughter. Goosebumps cover the skin on my entire body. Neteyam laughs at me, but I hardly notice. All I see is the clouds, I could reach out and touch them, I haven't been above the forest before. My gaze shifts down at the ikran, the ground flashes by through the pattern of holes in its wings.

"I could stay up here forever." I say breathlessly. He turns his head, smiling at me.

"When you get an ikran you can fly as far as you want." He says as we descend down to the village, making my smile fade.

"We should get you to Tsahik." Neteyam says as we land, he swiftly dismounts, then turns to offer me a hand. 

"Thank you." I say, taking his hand, he grabs my waist with the other, helping me to the ground. He looks right into my eyes, still holding onto me. 

"Neteyam!" A small voice comes from behind me. He drops his hands from me, stepping back. The cutest little Na'vi I have ever seen runs up to him, leaping into his arms.

"Hi." He replies, as she hugs his neck and giggles, a tiny smile appears on his lips, and he moves her to his hip like it was the most natural thing in the world. I stand in shock, he is so kind to her, my brothers would never. She notices me, her already huge eyes get even bigger.

"Oh no! What happened?!" The little girl asks, pointing at my bandaged foot.

"Tuk!" Lo'ak angrily shouts, he jogs up from behind Neteyam. "I told you to go home. You are going to get us both in trouble." Lo'ak rolls his eyes as he approaches his siblings.

"Are you hurt?" She asks me sweetly, ignoring Lo'ak. Neteyam holds back a smile, biting his lip slightly.

"Oh, I just got a little cut." I reply like its nothing, smiling at her. Neteyam and Lo'ak look at each other. 

"Why don't you take Safi to Tsahik?" Neteyam asks Tuk as he sets her down.

"Sure!" She says enthusiastically, taking my hand. "Grandmother is really good at helping people. She will heal you right up!" I smile again.

"Oh, take this." Lo'ak hands me a large stick. 

"Thank you Lo'ak, this will be helpful." He nods and walks back to his brother, they talk quietly.

"Come on!" Tuk says, pulling me away towards. She guides me to the Tsahik, although I have been there countless times, helping the injured. The stick Lo'ak gave me is very helpful.

———

"How long until I can walk normally?" I politely ask the Tsahik.

"Better in a week. Come back if there are any problems, my child." She says, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. The Tsahik hands Tuk a bundle with extra supplies for the healing process.
As we turned to leave, Neteyam and Lo'ak appear outside.

"I need not to talk to your mother about this?" Tsahik says to the boys with a smile.

"No ma'am. We found her like this." Neteyam replies with a tiny smirk, she laughs and touches his head before we leave.

"I think I can get home on my own. Thank you all for helping me today." I say when we get back to the path.

"Are you sure?" Neteyam asks, concerned. I cannot believe how nice and caring this family is.

"Yes, it's not far." I reply, as Tuk hands me the supplies. She has cute teeth, she is still missing some, but that doesn't make her any less adorable. 

"Okay, see you around then." Neteyam says, he seems unsure about letting me leave alone, but I cannot bring him back to my house. I give him a small smile to show him I mean it.

"Goodnight Safi!" Tuk says waving from Lo'aks shoulders. I wave to them, Neteyam does a sort of half wave, Lo'ak just gives me another nod. I turn using my new walking stick, and head home.

Despite my foot, I take the long way home, I need time to reflect on my day, and to think of an excuse for my injury. I can't stop smiling. In just a few hours, Neteyam almost killed me, pulled a giant piece of glass out of my foot, then bandaged it, oh and I FLEW on an ikran! AND met half of the Sully family. Today was the best day I have had in a long time, even though it meant the bottom of my foot got sliced up.

I manage to get home and slip into my hammock unnoticed. Luckily I don't need to explain my injury to anyone just yet. I study the stick Lo'ak gave me, peeling off the bark, it is the only proof I have that this is real. That and the gash in my foot. It feels like I dreamt everything that happened. The whole day was unreal.

For now, my incredible day would be just mine. I drift off to sleep with a smile on my face, despite the stinging in my foot.

———

AN: What do you guys think?? Do you want more? I have already written like 20 chapters so lmk. Do you want some backstory to Safi? 

And if you have anything you want me to write, I love suggestions.

Please let me know! 

Thx for reading <3