17 - Flight

Before we knew it, all our belongings were on the ikran. I absentmindedly tie the shawl Kiri made me together in the front with some leather strips so it won't fly off during our flight. Once it is secure, I look around. Here we stand in an empty tent, which was once full of life and people. Now it is full of people, but there is no life left here. It has never been this quiet with the whole family in here before. It is weird, Jake is near one entrance holding a very sad, defeated Tuk, Neytiri has one hand on his shoulder, they are looking at each other, having a silent conversation. Kiri is looking around the room, walking slowly, hugging her shawl around her. Lo'ak is staring off into space, his face completely blank. Neteyam is next to me, watching his family the same way I am. Jake clears his throat to get everyone's attention.

"Alright, it's time to go." Jake's voice is quiet, melancholy. Neteyam grabs my hand, I lean my head on his shoulder and hold onto his arm with my other hand.

"Do we have to?" Tuk whimpers from Jakes arms. Kiri and I make eye contact, she sighs and wraps her shawl tighter around her. I try to shoot her a smile but she looks away.

"Tuk, it is our only option. We are doing this to keep the people safe, and our family." Neytiri says lightly, moving closer to Jake, she brushes her hand against Tuk's cheek, her raspy voice somehow still sounds sweet through all the sorrow.

"We're gonna be okay babygirl." Jake whispers to Tuk, she buries her face in his neck and he places his hand on the back of her head. 

"Everybody ready?" He asks, looking around the group. Neytiri nods and gives him a small smile before turning to take Kiri's hand, which she reluctantly takes. "Boys?" Jake says sternly, but it still sounds sad. 

"Yes, sir." Lo'ak says under his breath next to me, I look over at him, but he just stares at the ground. Neteyam squeezes my hand to get my attention, my eyes meet his and I nod.

"Ready." He replies with confidence, which wasn't there earlier this morning. I squeeze his hand back. 

>><<

My family hadn't crossed my mind yet this morning, I was too preoccupied observing the Sully's, but once we got to the ikran, I remembered where we were going. They were going to be at the ceremony. My brothers were going to find out. Eywa please don't let them disrupt this. Maybe if I stay behind everyone they won't notice me. But they'll see me when we fly off...

"Safi." Neteyam says gently, breaking me out of my own head. His hand is stretched out towards me, waiting for me to take it. I put my hand in his, climbing behind him on his ikran. He reaches back to grab my arms, wrapping them around him for me. 

"Sorry, I was in my head." I confess, shaking my head. 

"No, it's okay. Don't apologize." He reassures me kindly, rubbing his hand over my arms. This man really is too kind for this world. I sigh and rest my chin on his shoulder, the soft leather of his shawl is comforting. I haven't seen it on him before, he said his mother gave it to him, it belonged to her father Eytukan when he was young, the late Olo'ektan. He looks like a prince from one of those human picture books, fairytales I think they were called. In a way, he kind of is a prince.

 Neytiri yips and her ikran takes off, one after another, the five ikran all into formation. The ride to the soul tree is quiet, there are many others ahead and behind us in the air. No ablebodied clan member is going to miss this ceremony. 

It is all a blur. We stand off to the side at the base of the soul tree. Mo'at stands before Tarsem and Jake, transferring the Olo'ektan's traditional garb from Jake's shoulders to Tarsem's. Jake kneels, Tarsem raises his blade, letting out a shout as he brings it down to Jakes chest, causing the whole crowd to flinch, but only his fist comes in contact with Jake, until he lifts his arm again, making a small cut. Just like that, the transfer of power is complete. Jake Sully is no longer Olo'ektan, Tarsem is now the leader of the Omaticaya.