20 - Ilu

I only woke up a few times from unfamiliar sounds coming from the ocean. Each time though, I would open my eyes to either Kiri, or Neteyam, probably the two people I feel most comfortable with. 

I am startled awake, I think it is an ilu making noise this time. It is starting to get light, so I might as well get up. Slowly I push myself up to sit, I stretch my arms as I look around the marui, all the other kids are still sleeping. Neteyam is laying on his side facing away from me, I run my hand over his hair and kiss his shoulder. I get up and pull my hair back, tying it up so it is off my neck which is a little sweaty. I walk softly across the room to grab a piece of fruit before walking out. 

Not many others are up, I walk around a bit to observe the Metkayina morning. I see a canoe with a few people fishing out past the reef, and a woman walking around, gently swaying with her baby. I take a bite of my fruit, it is similar to what grows in the forest, but much sweeter. I sit on the edge of path in front of our marui, watching the fish and other animals swim around the shallow water. An ilu swims up in front of me, quietly squeaking and clicking at me.

"Good morning." I whisper happily, I still can't believe how adorable these creatures are. I slowly reach out to it, and it hesitates before rubbing its head against my hand. "You are so cute." I pet its head and it swims around my feet before coming out of the water close to me, eyeing my fruit. "Oh, you want some?" It flaps its fins and squeaks at me. "I would love to share with you but I am not sure you can eat this. I am sorry." I say softly, then I feel someone coming down the path towards me. I turn to see Ao'nung who waves at me, I wave back. 

"You are anxious to ride?" He asks, smiling at me. I return a small smile.

"This one just came up to me on its own, I think it wants this." I say gesturing to the fruit.

"Don't feed them here, or you will start waking up to pods of ilu every morning." He says chuckling, then he looks at the ilu and his expression changed. "Wait, she is not one of ours." He cocks his head and squats near me, the ilu dives back in the water and hides under the path. 

"Really? But she was so friendly."

"All of our ilu have handle wraps on them, and she doesn't." He says rubbing his head. "There are never wild ones around the village." 

There is movement inside the marui, Aonung stands and steps away from me, and we both turn to see Neteyam coming outside. He leans against the wall of our hut, rubbing his eyes.

"Good morning Teyam." I say, giving him a warm smile, I watch him eye Aonung.

"I was just coming by to let you know we will be out in the water today, you can meet us whenever you are ready, but, no rush." Ao'nung says before walking away.

"Thanks." I reply, trying to be friendly. We both watch Aonung as he retreats from our marui. Neteyam sighs and rubs his forehead, causing me to furrow my brow. I stand and turn to him, he takes a deep breath before meeting my eyes.

"Are you okay?" I ask softly.

"I'm fine." He answers quickly, but he knows I don't believe him. 

"Let's go for a walk." I suggest quietly, he blinks at me, in agreeance I think. We head down the path, walking in the direction we went last night. 

He walks next to me, his eyes aren't fixed on anything, he just stares blankly ahead. Somehow he doesn't miss a step as we hike our way out of the village. We walk in silence until we come upon the large rock, I take his hand and guide him over to it. He stands in front of me with his hands on his hips.

"Okay." I whisper, my eyes searching for any hint of what is going on with him. I don't want to push him if he doesn't want to talk. He stands there and thinks for a moment before sitting. He looks out at the ocean, then down at his hands. I move to stand in front of him, placing my hands on his shoulders. He looks up at me and shakes his head, putting his head in his hands.