Missing

Laying in the hotel bed, Y/n kept replaying the events of the last few months on repeat. She wondered if there was something she could've done differently. Was there a better choice she could've made. The lives that have been lost, could they have been saved. She knew dwelling on the past, and the what if's, was never a good idea. That didn't stop her from wishing she could make things better. 

It's been a few days since she'd seen Obito. She stopped by to visit the girls and Sakura the next morning. After that, she went to the hotel rather than the Senju mansion. Y/n knew she'd eventually have to go back. She didn't want to see Tobirama or his lying brother, though. She doubted that Madara was still there. But the thought of seeing him again was terrifying. 

Kikyo was tired of being cooped up in the mansion most of the time. Zabuza would pick both Kikyo and Tsuki up from time to time, letting them get out of the house. From what Y/n understood, Obito would stay at the mansion for a few days to see the girls, but rarely took them to the penthouse. It pained Y/n to see the sadness in her daughter's eyes. She wanted to be able to explain to them what was going. Y/n prayed that one day, when they were older, they would forgive her for the choices she made. 

Sakura and Hinata were both due to have their second babies any day now. Y/n couldn't believe how fast time had seemed to pass. She also couldn't help but feel jealous of them. Naruto deserved all the happiness in the world and she loathed herself for feeling the way she did. Sakura and Y/n had moved past their differences early on, so why wasn't she able to just feel happy for her friend? 

It sounded as though Itachi and Izumi had managed to work through things. They were also trying for another baby. From what Sakura had told Y/n, Shisui and Vivekka were pretty serious. That didn't help Y/n's jealousy either. 

Feeling sorry for herself, Y/n moved to stand from the bed. She didn't care if it was ten in the morning, she was going to drink her day away. What better way to cope with the shit hand life had dealt her? 

Before Y/n could pull the top off the whiskey, her phone rang. Seeing Shizune's name, panic set in. Answering the phone, Y/n calmly asked, "Is something wrong?" 

"I need you to come down to the hospital," Shizune knew there wasn't an easy way to give bad news. "Mikoto was in an accident." 

Stomach churning, Y/n asked, "Is she okay?" 

"I'll see you soon," Shizune left it at that and hung up the phone. 

Fear struck Y/n as she dropped her phone. Her hands flew to the edge of the table, bracing herself from falling. If Mikoto died, Y/n wasn't sure that Itachi and Sasuke would forgive her. At the end of the day, it would be her fault. 

Lee. Asuma. Fugaku. The list was growing. 

Hurriedly getting dressed, Y/n didn't care about her appearance. Leaving the hotel, she may have broken a few laws in order to get to the hospital. When she pulled up to the emergency entrance, she could see all of the families cars. Bracing for impact, Y/n made her way inside. 

Vivekka's grim face was the first thing Y/n saw. "They're all on the private floor," Vivekka turned as Y/n kept walking. "Shisui asked me to take you up." 

"Is everyone here?" Y/n asked as they reached the elevators. 

Nodding, Viv answered, "Yes." She pressed the button. 

"Do they know what happened?" The doors opened and Y/n pressed the tenth floor. 

Y/n could sense that Viv was nervous. "I'm not sure." 

Fairly certain she was lying, Y/n waited until she saw someone in the family. The ride seemed to last forever as Y/n and Viv stood silently together. Finally, the low ping signaled they were there. The doors opened, revealing far too many grieving faces. The news wasn't good. 

When Y/n stepped onto the floor, all heads turned. There was a silent look exchanged between the four cousins. Sasuke turned his back on Y/n. Itachi merely looked away, rubbing Izumi's back. Shisui gave her a sad smile before meeting Vivekka in the hallway as she walked past Y/n. Obtio stared. 

"Asami," he sounded so relieved to see her there. As Y/n tilted her head slightly, Obito closed the distance between them quickly. Wrapping his arms around her, he held her tightly. "I was so worried about you." 

Unable to fight off the need to hold him, Y/n returned the embrace. She turned her head so she could ask, "She's dead, isn't she?" 

"Yes," he whispered as he pulled away. There was something more he didn't want to say. 

Listening, Y/n could hear Sarada and Itsuki. Leaning over a little, Y/n could see the two playing at the end of the hallway. 

Eyes wide, she looked up at Obito, "Where are the girls?" 

She didn't like the look in her husband's eyes. "Asami."

 Y/n shook her head adamantly. "Where?" Her voice was too low. Too calm. Obito opened his mouth before closing it. "WHERE?!" The fear and panic echoed throughout the hall. 

"We don't know," it wasn't Obito that answered her. 

Turning around, Y/n found Zabuza and Kakashi standing behind her. 

"What do you mean, Zabuza?" Y/n knew it was shock that kept the tears at bay. 

The two men stepped closer to Y/n and Obito. Zabuza looked up at Obito before focusing on Y/n. "Mikoto's car was ran off the road." Y/n swayed, making Obito move in to hold her against him. "From what we can tell, the girls weren't harmed. But they're missing." 

"No," Y/n shook her head. "He wouldn't hurt them." She kept shaking her head. "He wouldn't do this to me." Hysterics were setting in. "NO!" She screamed as she crumpled to the floor. 

"Asami," Obito cried as he joined her in a heap on the hospital floor. 

Kakashi and Zabuza walked by the couple. They moved to speak with Shisui and Itachi. The four discussed the preliminary conclusion from the investigation. Zabuza and Kakashi had come straight from the scene to speak to the family. 

"I can't do this," Y/n croaked. 

"You can," Obito tried to sound confident. "Madara or not," he took Y/n's face into his hands, "we'll find them. They'll be fine. They are fine." 

"I can't, Bito," Y/n's face was blotchy as tears continued to stream down her face. "I can't keep doing this. I can't lose them. I can't lose you. I don't want to do this anymore." 

Obito had never seen Y/n throw in the towel. She always fought. Always kicking and screaming, taking down anyone she can. If she was falling, so was everyone else. But this, this was something she never expected to see. 

Wiping her tears away, Obito kissed her forehead. Sweetly, he murmured, "I believe in you, Asami. You're the glue that holds us all together. You're the thread that ties us together. You're the strongest of us all. If anyone can fix this mess, it's you." He pulled away to hold her gaze, "I don't want you to do this alone. I don't want you to rely on Tobirama. But I know, somehow, someway, you'll save us all." 

Y/n wasn't sure if Obito believed his words or not. It didn't matter. They were the words that Y/n needed to hear. Rather than saying anything, Y/n gave Obito a weak smile. Leaning into his chest, she let herself be the damsel in distress for a bit longer. Once she was finished, she would pull herself together, and become the Black Widow that she needed to be.