fifteen

Belle had gotten freshened up by the time the Doctor and Amy were outside the TARDIS. Ave and River had said goodbye a while ago. Ave used her vortex manipulator to travel through time while River had to return to jail. Belle didn't really like her, but she knew she had to get used to her being there every so often.

She stepped out of the TARDIS to reveal Amy kissing the Doctor passionately. Belle gasps as she sees the Doctor struggle to get out of Amy's grasp. Belle closes the TARDIS's door and slumps down against them, sitting on the floor. Belle put a hand on her face. Why was she feeling so down over this? She should have known Amy had liked the Doctor. Did the Doctor like Amy back?

"Belle? Belle! Open the door!" the Doctor said as she felt the door try to open on her back. The Doctor panicked as he tried to close the door behind him with no Amy following. Belle looks up at him as she has tears on her face.

"Belle... She wasn't... I didn't..."

"I get it," Belle tells him, "you... like her more than me?"

The Doctor rolls his eyes. "No! A billion times, no! I could never like anyone more than you, Belle."

Belle sniffs. "Hard to believe with the way you two were kissing in front of me."

"Haven't you noticed all the times I've kissed you?" The Doctor says, facing her. He is at eye-level now. "Don't you notice all that?"

"Yes, but I – We – haven't really made things official. I haven't seen your past self yet and I know dang well it's going to be hard without seeing you like... this..."

The Doctor hugs Belle. "How about we go on a date? You and me while Rory and Amelia go on theirs. I'll come get Rory."

He pulls away and before Belle could even say anything he's already at the TARDIS console.

"Rory?"

"Her fiance," the Doctor tells her. "That's who she was trying to get away from. That's why she tried to... to... you know..."

"Oh," Belle crossed her arms. "And she knew about us?"

The Doctor nods guiltily. "I should've told you about him. When I first met him, he was her boyfriend."

"And how long ago was that?"

"Two years for her," The Doctor says. Amy opens the door the exact moment Belle was about to speak. Belle gives her a cold look. Amy doesn't look guilty about anything.

•••

Belle stayed as far away from Amy as possible when the Doctor left to get Rory. Belle was hurt that Amy would do that. They were great friends from the very beginning. Why would she do that to her? To Rory, her fiancé?

"Belle, I'm so—"

"Oh, the life out there, it dazzles. I mean, it blinds you to the things that are important. I've seen it devour relationships and plans. It's meant to do that. Because for one person to have seen all that, to taste the glory and then go back, it will tear you apart. So, I'm sending you somewhere, together," the Doctor interrupts Amy apologizing. A man stood above the Doctor as he fixed the TARDIS. He looks at her as she comes down the stairs.

"Whoa. What, like a date?" Amy asks.

"The Doctor and I," Belle says glaring, "and you and Rory."

"Sorry... but who are you?"

"Isabelle," Belle tells Rory. "My friends call me Belle, but Amy used to call me Izzy. You may call me Izzy if you like, Rory."

Rory nods, shaking Belle's hand. Amy looks away, embarrassed.

"Anywhere you want. Any time you want. One condition. It has to be amazing, because Belle is coming along as well," the Doctor winks at Belle, "The Moulin Rouge in 1890. The first Olympic Games. Think of it as a wedding present, because it's either this or tokens. It's a lot to take in, isn't it? Tiny box, huge room inside. What's that about? Let me explain."

"It's another dimension," Rory says, annoyed.

"It's basically another dimension. What?" The Doctor asks as he's finally on the same level as the three humans.

"After what happened with Prisoner Zero, I've been reading up on all the latest scientific theories. FTL travel, parallel universes," Rory tells him as the Doctor brings his arm around Belle's waist.

"Prisoner Zero?" Belle repeats, looking at the Doctor. "I wasn't there."

"Obviously not. I don't remember you at all," Rory rolls his eyes.

"I like the bit when someone says it's bigger on the inside. I always look forward to that. And don't be so mean to Belle. She didn't do anything," he glared at Rory.

"So, this date. I'm kind of done with running down corridors. What do you think, Rory?"

"How about somewhere romantic? Belle and I want this to be our first date," the Doctor says as he's already turning the levers. Belle sighs as he's watching him. She wished this wasn't their first actual date because of Amy being there.

•••

"Venice!" The Doctor exclaims. He continues on as he grabs Belle's hand. She smiles at him.

"Venezia. La Serenissima. Impossible city. Preposterous city. Founded by refugees running from Attila the Hun. It was just a collection of little wooden huts in the middle of the marsh, but became one of the most powerful cities in the world. Constantly being invaded, constantly flooding, constantly just beautiful. Ah, you got to love Venice. So many people did. Byron, Napoleon, Casanova. Ooo, that reminds me. 1580. That's all right. Casanova doesn't get born for a hundred and forty five years. Don't want to run into him. I owe him a chicken," he rambled on. Belle's eyes widened.

"A chicken?" She asks.

"You owe Casanova a chicken?" Rory asks.

"Long story. We had a bet," the Doctor says, then kisses Belle's temple as they walk.

The Doctor is noticed by an official.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Papers, if you please. Proof of residency, current bill of medical inspection," the official says. Belle gets nervous.

The Doctor holds up his psychic paper. "Don't worry," he tells Belle. "We're fine."

"There you go, fellow. All to your satisfaction, I think you'll find."

"I am so sorry, Your Holiness. I didn't realize," the official bows.

"Belle, I—"

Belle glared at Amy. The Doctor nudges Belle, but continues to talk to the official.

"No worries. You were just doing your job. Sorry, what exactly is your job?"

"Checking for aliens. Visitors from foreign lands what might bring the plague with them."

"Oh, that's nice. See where you bring me? The plague," Amy says sarcastically. Belle rolls her eyes.

"Not everyone gets the plague."

Amy huffs.

"Don't worry, Viscountess. Your wife is right," the man tells the Doctor, "No, we're under quarantine here. No one comes in, no one goes out, and all because of the grace and wisdom of our patron, Signora Rosanna Calvierri."

Belle's eyes widened at the 'wife' part. She nudges him. He looks anywhere else but her.

"How interesting. I heard the plague died out years ago."

"Not out there. No, Signora Calvierri has seen it with her own eyes. Streets are piled high with bodies, she said."

"Did she now," the Doctor says.

Rory takes the psychic paper from the Inspector, who moves on to his next target.

"Oi," says the inspector.

"Er, according to this, I am your eunuch," Belle hears Rory say to Amy. Belle blocked Amy's voice out as she followed the Doctor, hand-in-hand.