fifty-six

Episode: Boom Town

Belle wakes up to see an unfamiliar man look down at her. She cringes when his face gets angry as she gets up from her little 'nap' as he called it.

"Having fun on your little nap there?"

"Sorry, who are you?"

"The Doctor," he introduces himself. "Do you know what's going – ?"

"What is it? What's happening?" the Doctor interrupts himself as they get spinned around the place. They fall out of the cupboard they were in.

"Oh, my God! I don't believe it! Why'd they put you in there? They never said you were coming," says an unfamiliar girl.

"What happened? I was – I mean, we were –"

"Careful now. Oh! Oh, mind yourself! Oh, that's the transmat. It scrambles your head. I was sick for days. All right? So, what's your name then, sweetheart?"

The Doctor is very unsteady.

"The Doctor, I think. I was, er. I don't know, what happened? How –"

"My name is Be – the Beauty," Belle introduces herself as her nickname. She doesn't remember much about her past, but she sure remembered her name.

"Ah, the Beauty? Doesn't sound like a human name," says the Doctor. Belle nods.

"Well I'm not exactly human," says Belle. The girl looks at her weird.

"Well I just wanted to say that you got chosen," says the girl.

"Chosen for what?"

"You're a housemate. You're in the house. Isn't that brilliant?!"

Over by a pink screen with a stylised eye on it, a young man in a t-shirt is not amused.

"That's not fair. We've got eviction in five minutes! I've been here for all nine weeks, I've followed the rules, I haven't had a single warning, and then he comes swanning in."

A dark-skinned young lady in the pink shirt joins in.

"If they keep changing the rules, I'm going to protest, I am. You watch me, I'm going to paint the walls."

"Would the Doctor and the Beauty please come to the Diary Room?"

The Doctor and the Beauty go through a door with the stylised eye on it and they sit in comfy chairs.

"You are live on channel forty four thousand. Please do not swear."

"He – hey, I was going to say –"

"I knew you were going to joke around," the Doctor says, "but you have got to be kidding."

After a while, the Doctor is checking his surroundings with the sonic screwdriver.

"I can't open it," he says.

"It's got a deadlock seal, ever since Big Brother five hundred and four when they all walked out. You must remember that."

"What about this?"

There's an alcove with a picture in it.

"Oh, that's exoglass. You'd need a nuclear bomb to get through," says the girl.

"Don't tempt me."

"I know you're not supposed to talk about the outside world, but you must've been watching. Do people like me? Lynda. Lynda with a Y, not Linda with an I. She got forcibly evicted because she damaged the camera. Am I popular?"

"I don't remember," the Doctor says. Belle looks up to see Lynda look at her.

"I don't remember either, sorry Lynda," Belle tells her.