Chapter 4

Grace's POV

"Fifth one this week and we still don't know what's causing these types of injuries?" I ask as I try to stop the bleeding. Whatever caused it went straight through the shoulder, just below the clavicle, above her breast. The entrance of the wound is cauterised, but the exit is raw and pouring blood. From the looks of it, a major artery is ruptured. Now, I'm trying to get to that artery to stop the bleeding, but I'm having no luck and it doesn't help that this patient is still conscious and pregnant.

"That's for the authorities to find out."

I nod. "She's losing too much blood and I can't find the other end of the artery. We need to get the baby out now."

"No. We're a minute away. Just keep trying."

"We don't have a minute!" As I spoke, the beeping of the monitors fill my ears. "Code red!" The team around me jumps into gear and starts shouting orders. I follow, jumping to get the baby out as fast as possible while Kate starts resuscitation and Bryan tried to stop the bleeding.

"Find the artery?"

"No. I'm wrist deep and still can't find it."

I waste no time as I make the incision, using my hand to open the wound as I go. "BP?"

"Uh..."

"BP?"

Before I get an answer, I hear the machine's flatlined. No! No, no, no!

I put my hand against her stomach, but there's no longer a heartbeat. I can't feel her baby anymore. A sinking feeling presents itself in my stomach as I stare at her on the stretcher. This feels familiar. This hits too close to home. I feel a hand on my shoulder and I turn to investigate Sloane's face. I don't know when or how I even get out of the ambulance or how I'm inside the hospital. "Hey," she says in a gentle voice, her grey eyes taking me in. "You okay?"

"I... Uh..." I look down at my hands and they're covered in blood. It covered my entire uniform. It's on my face. When did I touch my face?

"Grace," she took hold of my hand and pull me down the hall, despite the blood all over me that was getting on her pearly clean scrubs. We reach the changing rooms and she pushes me inside and closes the doors. "Come here, hon," she says, and I went, walking into her embrace. "I've seen the patient. You did all you could."

I shake my head as I feel the tears fall. "They should have made me take the baby earlier. I could've saved the baby."

"The baby wouldn't have survived either. It's too young."

"Steph, I could've saved him."

She sighs, stroking my hair. "I'm so sorry, Gracie."

My arms close around her, welcoming her embrace. "I thought you were in a fifteen-hour surgery. What are you doing here?"

"I was." She sighs. "I finished early, and I was on my way home when I saw your ambulance pull in."

"Oh," I pull away gently and start towards my locker, pulling off my bloody shirt. It falls onto the bench as I sit down. Opening my locker, I take out the tiny bag I keep with my body wash and shampoo. I grab a towel and slam it shut again before I start off towards the shower stalls.

"Uh," She stutters behind me. "Should I wait on you or...?"

I glance back at her over my shoulder and she's not looking at me. Her eyes seem to be glued to her shoes. Nice Crocs. "You can wait. I don't want to go home anyway."

I don't hear a response so I try my luck at reading her, not knowing if I'll get anything at all. At first, I don't and it makes me frown but then I start hearing bits and pieces of her thoughts as I take my shower. For the most part, they are pure, but she is concerned. She's wondering what's happening. If everything is okay. She's wondering about my mood for the last week. I haven't told her about what's going on with me and Emilie. I don't even know what's going on between me and Emilie. This is all just a big misunderstanding.