Chapter 10

"Later baby, love you." I give Sierra a quick kiss that she returns. Then I'm kissing the baby in her hand. He grabs onto my face with a bubbly laugh, holding me close to him. I kiss him again. "Bu-bye Bubba!" I kiss his twin in my sister's arms and it's pretty much the same reaction. Their laughs are slightly different. Jace's is bubblier, and he has a deeper voice while Jaylin's is more of an opened mouth smile. Rarely ever gets a sound out unless he's crying.

I look at Max, and he looks at me, trying to stifle a laugh already. When I dive for him, he makes a run for it, but he doesn't get very far. "Here comes the claw attack!"

A cacophony of squeals and laughter erupts as I tickle his sides. He folds and bends to evade them, but his efforts are useless. I finally kiss his forehead and lower him to the couch. "Bye Big Max."

He gives me the cutest little wave as he lies on his tummy.

I kiss Mia's cheek. "Pain scale?"

She thinks. "Three on meds. Eight off them."

"Yikes." I tousle her hair. "We'll get there."

"Can we go now?" Lee drawls, her impatience staining every word. She's already heading for the door.

I look over my shoulder at Sloane. She's sitting against the armrest beside Sierra. Her hands are running through Sierra's hair as she watches this entire exchange. She looks radiant and her skin is glowing. There is something different about her but I can't quite put my finger on it. I stretch my hand out for her to take. She looks at it then turns to kiss Sierra's cheek, whispering something in her ear too. Take care, love.

Under the safety of Jaison's blanket, Sierra forms a heart with her hands. Sloane takes my hand but her lingering gaze at Sierra gives her enough time to witness what she meant for her. A blush taints her cheeks as she turns towards me and allows me to lead her out the front door.

Her fingers close tighter around mine as we walk to the car. "Your heartbeat changed," I tell her.

"Okay?" she says bewildered. "Changed how? Is it a good or bad change? Do I need to do an EKG?"

"I don't know. It's just...faster and if I listen closely, it sounds like it's echoing."

"Oh." She breathes but that's all she said.

I unlock the doors for Lee to get in. She climbs into the back and buckles in. Steph rides shotgun with me. As soon as I pull out onto the road, Lee starts. "Do you have any sisters, Steph?"

"No, I have two brothers and they're mean."

Lee laughs. "Just like me. Do you like having sisters Mama?"

"No. They steal my clothes."

"You could just steal them back?" she suggests. "I think a sister would be fun. We could have tea parties and I could braid her hair and have slumber parties." Sloane and I exchange a look before my eyes find the road again. "Where are we going, Mama?"

I clear my throat. "Dress shopping for the wedding. We're going to get a dress for me."

"And a dress for Steph?"

"Yes, because somebody has been putting it off. I wonder why." I glare at Steph, but she just gives me an innocent smile and a shrug.

Lee celebrates. "We're getting Princess dresses! But Mama," she stares at me wide-eyed. "You don't wear dresses."

An involuntary shudder makes its way off my shoulders. "I know, right? I'm going to look ridiculous."

"You're going to be beautiful."