Chapter 6

The minute I heard the words Isabelle and labour, everything else made sense. The relief I feel is unimaginable. We've always been able to sense each other's pain and discomfort. Emotions, but with me and Isabelle it's always stronger.

Grace is driving us home while Sierra is in the back seat with me. I have long forgotten my jacket on the floor somewhere and I'm seconds away from taking the rest of my clothes off. My hair is completely down now because even it in its messy bun was irritating and that says a lot because my hair is always up and never down. I'm lying in the backseat with my head in Sierra's lap. Her hand is combing through my hair and I can feel her face close to the side of mine.

"We're almost there." Grace volunteers and those words hit me like rain to a dry desert.

I close my eyes and breathe for a minute before I lift my head, ending up face-to-face with Sierra. "How are you feeling?"

"Don't ask me that," I tell her in a whisper.

She caresses the side of my face, her face pressing up against mine. "You're in pain."

I scuff at the truth behind her words. It was very bearable. Very faint. But still there and I hate that.

She gives me an encouraging smile. "You're a Queen, this is nothing for you to get through."

"I'm not as strong as you, Sierra. I thought you knew this."

"You're stronger." She presses her lips to mine, kissing me gently. I can only enjoy it for a second before I feel the car jerk to a stop in our garage. "We're here," Grace announces, hopping out of the driver's seat.

She climbs into the back, wearing my jacket, and takes my hand. Almost everything I am feeling disappears. "Come here, baby." She coaxes, gently pulling me towards the door.

I allow her to lead me out, Sierra following close behind with a supporting hand on my back. As soon as I reach the porch, I see Sloane unmounting her car. We, mainly me, invited her over to ride out whatever this is. Particularly because she's feeling it too and I'm curious how she's feeling me just as strong as Grace and Sierra. I need to understand this bond. It doesn't make sense to me.

She climbs the steps towards us. "How are you feeling?"

"Why does everyone keep asking that?"

"Maybe because we care," she answers, annoyed.

I feel the corners of my lips tipped up into a smile. "I fee...I don't know. Just not well. It's hard to explain."

Sierra keeps an arm around me as we enter through the front door. I'm praying the pain medication I took will start working soon. Grace is holding my hand the whole time but releases it to enter the passcode for our security system. Without a passcode, it'll stealthily contact the FBI and they'll have this house surrounded within ten minutes. We don't want that right now.

"Wow," Sloane breathes as we walk into the living room. I look over at her, seeing her gazing around the place, taking in all the pictures, the portraits, the decors. The wonder in her eyes is almost childlike. I've only ever seen one other person with that much pure, innocent curiosity. Sierra.

"This place is beautiful," she concludes, finally. "Maybe I chose the wrong career."

I snicker at her statement, dropping myself down on the couch. Billie finds me and I pick him up, perching him in my lap. "Alexa, tell Irelee to come downstairs."

Okay.

A second later, I hear her tiny footsteps running down the hall upstairs. "Don't run down the stairs," Sierra tells her, but I swear she's just like me and she's already halfway down, too fast to stop.