Chapter 9

Explaining to Mom and Marc what they just saw is harder in words. It sounds easier in my head when I think about it. Eventually, I give in and just show it to them. Did everything make sense to them after that? Yes. Did they believe it? No. Not right away.

After saying goodbye to Isabelle and Jordan, I drag myself upstairs to where the guest rooms are. I tap on the door to the room Mom is staying in and pops my head in. She's laying down in bed and turns to look at me by the door. "Maman, ça va?"

She nods. "Bien. Laisse-moi me reposer, oui?"

I nod. "Bon nuit. Je t'aime, Maman."

"Je t'aime, Chérie."

I leave the room and go to the guest room across from it, knocking on the door twice. "Mia, it's me."

A second passes and I hear the lock turn. The door cracks open, but when she sees me, she opens it wider to engulf my body. Her eyes fell on my bloody sweater, making her pause. "Emma—"

"I'm fine, Mia. It was just a scratch. How are you holding up? How's Max?"

"Asleep." She glances over her shoulder at him in bed, then meets my eyes again. "Thank you for doing this."

I give her a heartfelt smile. "You did it for me once. Now we're even." I kiss her cheek and step back. "Try to get some rest. We'll go into the nitty gritty of this in the morning. Good night."

"Goodnight sis."

I check on Lee and kiss her goodnight before heading towards our bedroom. I can feel my ears ringing all the way there and I can almost hear her worrying all the way from Kansas. Where's my fucking phone?

"Steph called," Sierra tells me as I enter the room. It's dark, and the TV isn't on, which is a first. They're already in bed but they're waiting up for me. I can tell they've been talking. "Like twenty times." Grace slips out of bed to meet me by the bathroom door. She hooks the hem of my sweater and pulls it off, studying my abdomen. I feel her stroke the flesh with a soft touch. There's a bit of tenderness, but that's it, nothing crippling.

She sighs, relieved, and leads me to the ottoman to sit down. "Call her," Sierra tells me as Grace disappears into the bathroom. "She's worried."

"I will. When I find my phone."

"Use mine. She's worried." Something lands on the bed behind me and I turn around to see Sierra's phone. Sighing, I ring her. She's saved in Sierra's phone as Stephie🤗 and I doubt that'll ever change.

"Sierra, I swear I will book a flight back to DC tonight if I don't hear from her." I chuckle at her statement. "You need to stop worrying. I can hear you pacing and your heart pounding all the way from Kansas." Grace comes back with a washcloth. It's cold when it touches my skin, but after that, I warm up to it. To her touch. Steph's relieved sigh doesn't go unnoticed. "Em," she breathes after a moment. "I've been trying to call you."

"I can't find my phone. I'm sorry. I'm okay though."

"You were in pain. Horrible pain."

"I'm fine." The feel of Gracie's lips against my skin steals my attention for a second and I look down to see her standing up.

She bends over towards me with both hands on my thighs and pecks my lips. "I'll bring you some clothes?" I shake my head, peeling my shoes off. "Unnecessary," I tell her. She nods and goes to get rid of the washcloth again.

"That was Gracie?" Steph asks.

"Hmmm." I drag my pants off and climb into the middle of the bed next to Sierra. She receives me with open arms, my head resting on her chest. I move the phone away from my ears, put it on loudspeaker and laid it on Sierra's chest. She snickers, shaking her head, but I pay her no mind. This just means that I now have free hands to explore and explore they did. "How is Thanksgiving with your mom?"