Chapter 4: Looking for skills (Revised)

"Talking"

'Thinking'

*Action or sound*

Text being read

Skill

(Leaf POV)

The run back to town was uncomfortable, because I was still across Sally's shoulders. She was running at high speed back to town and I was able to ask questions.

Me: "What was that voice from?"

Sally: "It's the announcer of the game."

Me: "Who's planning to add another world? And how?"

Sally: "The developers add more content and change NewWorld Online to how they want and for the players"

Me: "...So the developers are gods?"

Sally slows down to a jogging pace as the town comes into view. She was quiet and her eyes narrowed, but she didn't answer and stopped at Iz's shop. Maple and I were lowered off Sally's back. My chest felt numb from the odd position, but we made it here quickly. Everyone seemed to be in a hurry, talking like they were on a timer as Maple gave Iz the scales.

Iz: "I'm logging off. Keep this on you Leaf. It will let you in and out of my shop."

She held out her hand and placed something in mine. It was a necklace with a small circular piece of metal with a hammer engraving.

Iz: "It should let you open the door if you wear the necklace. Remember to lock the door behind you"

I nodded and Iz tapped the air, disappearing into particles. I'm not going to get used to that for a while. Logging off and dying looks almost the same.

Sally: "Come on, let's go to the shop"

She tossed Maple on her right shoulder and me over her left before bolting down the street.

The shop was a mixture of stands and tables with clothing and armor, about twice the size of Iz's shop. The woman at the counter waves as Sally walks in with us on her shoulders, not reacting to the odd entrance.

Woman: "Hello. Welcome to Bohl's."

She stared straight ahead as Sally walked by. The woman didn't blink or move at all as we were set down.

Me: "Is she ok?"

Maple: "She's an NPC Leaf. They don't have a way to respond to us"

Me: "....What's a NPC?"

Sally: "Non playable character. Someone or something that cannot be controlled by a player."

Sally was inspecting boots in the armor department of the store with Maple. While they're busy, I stood on my toes in front of the counter to look at the woman.

Me (whispering): "Hello?"

The woman stayed silent and stared past me. I lifted my arm and waved in front of her, getting no response. I stepped around the counter and looked at her elbow since her hands were on the counter, and poked her.

Woman: "Would you like an explanation of where our products are?"

She didn't look at me. She just stared forward.

Sally: "Leaf? What are you doing?"

I got the attention of Maple and Sally. But I was focused on the woman. Acting like a robot. I didn't like the idea of someone being like that.

Sally: "Leaf, she's not real. She's part of the store to help players"

Me: "Is it player magic?"

Sally: "Player...Just come over here. I don't want to run out of time"