Chapter 7: I just want to read! (Revised)

"Speaking"

'Thinking'

*Action or sound*

Text being read

Skill

(Leaf POV)

I woke up with the speed of a snail. My body was taking its time to catch up with my mind, so I lay there and think on yesterday.

I got two new friends and while one is...mindless. So now I won't be alone half the time, found a place I can stay, and have skills to protect myself.

A warm feeling on the side of my face caught my attention. It feels like someone's hand was brushing my hair. I opened my eyes and saw Juniper sitting on a wooden chair next to me. I was still on the bed made of plants, yet felt like very comfortable.

Juniper: "Good morning my Master. I'm happy to see you well today"

Me: "Morning" *Yawn*

I rubbed my eyes with my right hand and moved my left arm onto the vine bundle pillow to push myself up. The vine and leaf blanket fell off of me and I blinked a few times.

Me: "Wait...were you watching me sleep?"

Juniper: "Indeed, my Master"

Leaf: "Did you sleep?"

She shook her head and reached behind her for a basket woven from plants.

Juniper: "If I need rest, being near you or in Sanctuary is enough for me"

She gave me a short explanation of her connection to Sanctuary. Juniper was connected to Sanctuary and can't actually leave. She can only go out for a short time before she's brought back here and can't stay outside for long without me.

Me: "I'm sorry Juniper"

Juniper: "You do not need to apologize, my Master"

Me: "Juniper, please stop calling me Master."

Juniper: "What would you like me to call you?"

Me: "Leaf"

Juniper: "Of course Master Leaf"

Me: "No, just Leaf"

Juniper: "Of course Master Leaf"

I'm not in the mood for this, so I just sigh in sync with my stomach growling. Nearly immediately a couple apples and a handful of red and blue berries were given to me by Juniper.

Leaf: "Thank you for the...um..."

I lifted a berry and inspected it. It was the size of my thumbnail and was blue in the curves with some red on the top and bottom.

Juniper: "They are Saskatoon berries"

Me: "Thank you"

I pushed it into my mouth and bit down on the berry. I froze at the sweet flavor flooding my mouth with a bit of something else included. Whatever it was, I found the basket empty of berries and apples.