The Wizard's Apprentice - Part 6

Later that day Molos Gomm called his two apprentices to attend him in the library.

     The grey wizard had been gathering a few items and some of his spellbooks and was carefully packing them away in a travelling box as Tak entered. The box was eighteen inches square but only a couple of inches high. It looked like a metal-strapped rosewood pizza box with a padded velvet lining, but as Tak reached the table on which it sat he saw that it was at least two feet deep on the inside, making the boy gasp with amazement.

     Molos Gomm chuckled as he carefully placed a large, dark green bottle in the box. A space that, by all the laws of geometry, must have been far too small to contain it. His amusement was tempered, though, by an anxiety that was evident in every line of his face, every movement of his body. Obviously Gal-Gowan had told him something that had disturbed him greatly.

     "Going somewhere?" said Philip with a nod towards the box as he entered a moment later.

     Molos Gomm nodded with a grunt. "Our visitor has come to remind me of my oaths of allegiance to Khalkedon, and to tell me that the assistance I promised at need in return for my tenancy here is now required. I must go to him and serve him in whatever way he wishes until this time of crisis is over."

     "What time of crisis?" asked Philip thoughtfully. His eyes had a calculating look to them that Tak didn't like.

     "Domandropolis is at war. The Mage Lords of Sholl have launched a vicious and unprovoked attack in an attempt to seize the Rho-Marches and Khalkedon is gathering all his thrall mages for a counterattack. I don't know how long I shall be away, hopefully no more than a few weeks, but in the meantime I leave Castle Nagra in your care. Continue your studies, practice what I have taught you and stay away from my private storerooms. I have placed wards on the doors that will shrivel your arm to a stump if you touch them. Trobo will look after you. Tell him if you need anything."

     He closed the travelling box, locked it with a large brass key and tucked it under his arm as though it did indeed contain nothing heavier than a pizza. Tak would have expected a strong man to have had difficulty lifting all the stuff he'd put in there. He looked up at the grey wizard to see his rheumy eyes fixed on him.

     "Well, my boy? No words of farewell for your loving master?"

     Tak thought of some choice words of farewell. He wanted to say that he hoped he died horribly, that he was struck down by an enemy spell or contracted some horrible disease, but he was still cowed and subdued by his ordeal at the hands of Gal-Gowan. "Good luck," he mumbled therefore, making Philip choke on a snort of laughter.

     "Why, thank you, my boy," chuckled Molos Gomm, reaching out to stroke Tak's cheek and chin. "How elevating to hear such sentiments from your sweet lips. You see, Philip? Why can't you be as appreciative of all I've given you as your young colleague?"

     He turned back to Tak. "He's hoping I don't come back alive, and he makes little secret of it. He wishes to speed the day he becomes master of Castle Nagra."

     "Not at all, master," sneered Philip. "You know how much I love you. You've always been like a father to me."

     Molos Gomm chuckled again. "Of course, of course. And one night, while you're expressing your love for me, that's when I'll feel your dagger in my ribs, eh Philip?"

     The young man just smiled and said nothing to deny it. The grey wizard frowned and took a step closer, and despite being several inches shorter than the younger man he still somehow managed to loom over him, making the apprentice gulp and shrink back in sudden fear.