Khalkedon - Part 7

Tak had expected the morning room to be open and sunlit, perhaps with open doorways leading out into gardens lovingly tended by leathery skinned gardeners, so he was unprepared for another large chamber completely closed off from the outside world. He could even see arched areas in the walls where windows had been bricked in, giving a claustrophobic, shut in feeling that he didn't like at all.

     As they entered, though, the guards remaining outside, Tak had to admit that the room was beautiful. Full of green growing things, the pleasant, humid smell of moist compost, and brilliantly lit by a single large glowing globe of marble high overhead, like the yellow sun. It was almost like being outdoors, but why go to all the effort when you could go outdoors for real? Did he really fear attack that much? Did he have enemies so powerful that all his armies couldn't defend him if he went outside? Maybe he did, he realised. All the great city states were ruled by wizard Kings, and they were all enemies of each other. Maybe they all shut themselves in as a precaution against assassination. Tak shuddered with horror. What a way to live!

     "Ah, this is better," said the King with a sigh of relief. "Away from the burdens of governance, even if only for a few minutes. Gal, you know where the drinks are."

     The red wizard nodded and crossed the room to where a small cabinet stood, almost hidden beneath the drooping flowerheads of a clump of orchids. He opened it and removed two glasses which he filled from a bottle of amber liquid. Returning, he handed one to Tak, who took it self consciously, almost painfully anxious not to commit a breach of etiquette. Did he drink now, or wait for the King to give him permission? Gal-Gowan was already drinking, though, so he raised the glass to his lips and took a cautious sip, his eyes on the King for any sign that he was doing something wrong.

     Khalkedon was merely wandering the wide aisles between rows of plants, though, admiring them from a distance. "Do you like my collection?" he asked.

     "It's wonderful," replied Tak, turning his head to look at the gloriously bright flowers. "I've never seen anything like them." Why were the aisles so wide, he wondered. And why was the King so careful not to get too close to the plants? And why wasn't he drinking? Deep inside him an alarm bell was ringing, but he ignored it. The King could do whatever he liked, that was what being King was all about. Who knew what offence he might cause if he started asking stupid questions. He took another sip of his drink and tried to calm himself down.

     "I didn't bring you here to discuss horticulture, of course" the King said, suddenly serious. "I brought you here to ask you something much more important."

     Tak's heart began hammering with fear and he suddenly felt very cold, as if he was standing among great blocks of ice. He had the sudden feeling that he was in great danger but he kept himself under control with an effort, assuming it was simple anxiety at being in the presence of such an important man. He stared at the golden mask, waiting for him to speak again.

     "My apprentice has no doubt told you that I have had many young wizards brought before me down through the years."

     Tak nodded dumbly.

     "It's true," the King added, "but never before have I met anyone with as much promise, as much potential, as you. You're something special, Tak Eweela. I knew it the moment I first saw you. I would have known it even if Gal hadn't already told me the same thing. You deserve more than to spend the rest of your life in a cold, empty castle. You would be wasted there. You deserve more. Tak, I want to offer you something I have only offered one other man, Gal-Gowan here. I want you to be my own apprentice."

     Tak almost fainted "Y-y-your own apprentice?" he stammered, his eyes wide and staring. He couldn't believe he'd heard it right.

     "My own apprentice," confirmed the King. "And Gal-Gowan's apprentice when he comes to succeed me. One day to be King yourself, perhaps. Well, young man, what do you say?"