Khalkedon - Part 2

It was fifteen months, during which Tak had begun to think the long nightmare might be coming to an end. Without Philip to share the load, a day rarely passed that didn't see him staggering to bed totally exhausted, driven by Molos Gomm's growing sense of urgency as precious time passed and the secret of the Potion of Longevity remained hidden. He had no idea that the breakthrough, when it finally came a thousand years later, would be in the school of necromancy and not alteration, as he believed until the day he died.

     Tak would gladly have worked twice as hard, though, in gratitude for the impotence that had recently begun to afflict his master. He still insisted that his apprentice, now sixteen years old, share his bed, but as the months passed it was more and more the case that he had to content himself with what he had earlier considered mere foreplay. It gave Tak hope for the day when he would never have to endure the revolting touch of his cold flesh again, when he would be able to move into Philip's old room and know the almost undreamed of luxury of a bed all to himself.

     That was when Gal-Gowan came again to castle Nagra with his usual escort, this time with no warning. Even Trobo, who at times seemed to have an almost telepathic ability to anticipate his master's needs, was caught on the hop and was unprepared for the rapping on the stout oaken door that sounded while he was in the middle of serving Molos Gomm his supper. The two of them went out together, curious to see who it could be who dared treat a wizard's castle like a crofter's lodge, who dared summon the occupants in such a peremptory manner like a landlord after his rent. Tak, who was in a small side chamber grinding opalescent mill beans with a mortar and pestle, followed behind them, also driven by curiosity.

     Molos Gomm's face was a picture when he saw Gal Gowan standing in his courtyard, and even the imperturbable Trobo seemed a little taken aback with surprise. "Gal-Gowan!" cried Molos Gomm in astonishment. "Forgive me, we had no idea you were coming."

     "It was our master's wish that I not advertise my coming," replied their visitor, "and we will only need stabling for one night. We leave first thing tomorrow morning. Our master wishes to meet your apprentice and sent me to fetch him." He peered past Molos Gomm at the small figure standing nervously behind him. "And there he is. The young man himself."

     "Tak?" said the grey wizard in fear and surprise. "You want Tak?" Gal-Gowan nodded. "But I need him, and you promised..."

     "You can do without him for a couple of weeks," stated the red wizard. "Khalkedon wishes to meet his new vassal. Should he rise from his throne and come himself? Is that the message you wish me to take back to him?"

     "No!" cried Molos Gomm in terror. "No, of course not." He turned, grabbed Tak by the arm and dragged him forward. "Of course he'll go with you. First thing tomorrow. In the meantime, Trobo will prepare the guest room for you. Fast, Trobo! Fast I tell you!"

     The word fast wasn't in Trobo's vocabulary, though, and he strode off with his usual stately dignity to obey his master's orders in his own unhurried manner, leaving the horsemen who'd come with Gal Gowan to sort out their own stabling.

     Molos Gomm, eager to placate and appease the apprentice of his master, begged him to enter and enjoy a bath he would prepare himself, a chore he hadn't performed since the far off days of his own apprenticeship, and after waiting for him to grow sufficiently fearful and desperate Gal-Gowan eventually agreed.

     Afterwards, as they were relaxing in the library, he allowed the old wizard to pour him a glass of his finest wine, and was sipping it when Trobo brought Tak to join them.

     "Here he is again " said Molos Gomm as they entered, and he hobbled over to take Tak by the shoulders and propel him closer to their guest.

     Gal-Gowan leaned back in his chair and examined the young man carefully. He frowned at the shadow of stubble Tak had around his face, where a beard was trying to grow. Molos Gomm made him shave it off every evening before bed, but by the time the yellow sun rose again it was back, a reminder that Tak was finally leaving his childhood years behind. If Molos Gomm hadn't taken him he might well be a married man by now, with his first child on the way.