Experiments - Part 5

An area of table had been cleared of clutter, and on it stood three strange objects. Identical to each other apart from some minor details but unlike anything else Tak had ever seen. They seemed to be made of some kind of greenish metal. Originally smooth and rounded but now badly corroded so that only the merest hint of the beauty and elegance of their construction remained. One of them had some kind of markings along one side, which appeared to be writing in some long forgotten language, and all three objects had smaller characters of the same language inscribed on various knobs and protrusions that Tak sensed had once had some kind of purpose, although what it could have been he couldn't imagine. The main features of all three objects, however, were the grey, glass windows that filled most of their upper surfaces, making them look like oddly shaped and over elaborate picture frames.

     With a glance at Gannlow to make sure it was okay, he picked one of them up, feeling the weight of it. Its good, solid construction. He ran his fingers lightly across its bumpy, raised features.

     "Press here," the rak suggested, indicating the spot on one of the other objects.

     Tak did so, feeling one of the strangely flattened bumps sinking slightly into the main body of the object under the pressure of his fingertip. Immediately, the window lit up and Tak found himself staring in astonishment at the head and shoulders of an attractive woman dressed in a style of clothing he'd never seen before. She was speaking, to him apparently, but her voice couldn't be heard and she didn't seem to notice or care that Tak made no reply.

     "Some kind of scrying mirror?" he asked.

     "No," replied the rak. "There is no magic in these objects."

     "No magic?" cried Tak in surprise. "That's impossible. Look at that. What's causing that image if not magic?"

     "I don't know," admitted Gannlow. "Some secret of the demigods that has long been lost. That is one of the things I want you to find out for me."

     "The demigods!" snorted Tak scornfully. "Surely you don't believe..."

     He suddenly remembered what he was talking to and cut himself off hurriedly. "I mean..." he stammered awkwardly. "There aren't many people who give that old legend much credence."

     "Neither did I, until I came across these objects in an Ommolian bazaar. The legend states that the semi-divine ancestors of humanity could work miracles without the aid of magic, however, and that describes these objects perfectly. I now believe that the legend of the demigods is the truth, that they had powers long lost to mankind, and that the secrets of those powers lie tied up in these ancient artifacts. I want those powers, and you are going to help me get them."

     "How?" asked Tak. "I mean, what did you have in mind?"

     Gannlow gestured with a claw at the image of the woman, still speaking silently to no-one. "She is clearly not speaking to us," he pointed out. "I believe that this object is some kind of diary, within which she recorded her thoughts and actions for her own later reference. I expect most of it refers to ordinary, day to day activities of interest only to herself. This one, however..."

     He indicated one of the other objects. "This one was used by a man of some position and authority. It shows not only his face, but images from his own time. Scenes of the city in which he lived and marvelous devices that were so familiar to him that he never makes specific reference to them.

     "I believe that I have, so far, been able to access only a small portion of their full contents. They are very old, as you can see, and no longer work as once they could. I believe that clues to the demigods' powers lie somewhere in those portions that I have not been able to access, despite twenty years of effort. I recruited Chilgrone in the hope that he would have insights that I lacked, that he would succeed where I failed, but he did not and now I want you to try. A year or two will be enough to see if you have any hope of success. If you have got nowhere after that time, I think we can safely assume that you never will and you will leave with your reward and my grateful thanks. I will then look for another wizard to try again."