The War Wizard - Part 4

"Are you able to summon the giant eagles?" Gal-Gowan asked the next day as they stood in the inner courtyard, his escort standing by their horses. Trobo hovered nearby, waiting patiently to wave them goodbye.

     "No," replied Tak, afraid that the older wizard would be angry. "Molos Gomm never showed me how, and I haven't been able to find any mention of it in any of his books and papers." It occurred to him suddenly that the old wizard might have created the giant birds himself in his laboratory. He'd have to look through his notes again when he got back.

     "A pity," said Gal-Gowan, who seemed strangely relieved. "We'll just have to travel the more conventional way, then."

     He indicated the spare horse and Tak mounted, remembering his first trip to Domandropolis with the red wizard. This time, though, Castle Nagra would be left completely empty of wizards until his return, and if the villagers found out they might take the opportunity to burn the place to the ground while he was away.

     He hoped the precautions they were taking would be enough to prevent them from finding out. Gal-Gowan would cast an invisibility spell on him and his horse during their ride through the village. The villagers would see Gal-Gowan and the other horsemen, but they wouldn't see Tak. They would think that the red wizard had only been visiting and that the master of Castle Nagra was remaining behind. Even Tak's cook and caretaker wouldn't know he was away. Horad and Hilda, living all alone in their own rooms on the other side of the castle, would simply think he was engrossed in his work, too busy to continue his attempts to make friends with them. They would continue to cook his meals, which Trobo would quietly dispose of.

     It occurred to him that, if he died, there was no-one in the whole world who would grieve over him. Khalkedon would send someone else to occupy the castle, some apprentice advanced enough to make a go of it for himself, and he would be forgotten as if he'd never lived. The thought made him feel small and lonely and miserable. He wanted his parents. He wanted his father to shake his hand and wish him well. He wanted his mother to cry over him and beg him to be careful. He wanted his sister to crack some stupid joke to cover her fears and concerns for her little brother's safety. He wanted to be loved. He blinked away his tears, determined not to show any sign of emotion in front of Gal-Gowan.

     "Look after the castle while I'm away," he told Trobo. "I'll expect everything to be in good shape when I return."

     "Of course, sir," nodded Trobo, and Tak suddenly found himself hating the houseman. He wouldn't care if he was killed. He would serve the new tenant with all the soulless efficiency with which he'd served Tak. How many masters had he served during his time here? he suddenly wondered. He had the sudden suspicion that it might be more than he'd realised. Maybe a lot more...

     "Let's go then," said Gal-Gowan, and he dug his heels into his horse's flanks. The animal moved off, his escort falling in behind, and Tak looked back at the castle one last time, wondering whether he'd ever see it again. He surprised himself with the realisation that he was looking forward to his return. For good or for bad, this was his home now. This was where he felt he belonged.

☆☆☆

     Domandropolis was buzzing with activity when they arrived. A large army was camped in the fields outside the city and Gal-Gowan weaved his way between the brightly coloured, pennanted tents to a large wagon the size of a house alongside which a dozen oxen grazed lazily, enjoying the chance to rest before being hitched up again.

     "This is my war home," he explained to the mystified and astonished younger wizard. "My mobile command base and field quarters. You will be sharing it with me and my apprentice for the duration of this conflict. I have to enter the city, to confer with Khalkedon. You will spend the night here. I will return and we will leave in the morning." The red wizard then spurred his horse into a gallop and rode for the city gates, accompanied by his escort.