Chapter 19

There's a football game today. Tao asked me to go, so I will. I'm nice like that. Okay, maybe I'm still feeling a little guilty, but whatever. The main reason I'm going is because I'm getting bored of class and I want to skip a few.

It's lunch now. As usual, I'm sitting beside Tao, who's got his head inches away from a drawing of a fighter jet. His phone died, so he's using mine for the reference photo. It leaves me with not much to do for the period, but the bell is going to ring soon, and then we'll be off to the game.

Jessie is sitting across the way. The football table is empty, which means she's alone for today. With a quick glance, I can tell she's in her typical huffy mood, and she doesn't appear to entertain her friends' attempts at conversation.

Tao straightens beside me, setting his pencil down. "I think I'm done for now. You can take your phone back."

I take my phone from where it sits and close the tab, switching to the messaging app. I almost text Xenon, but then I remember he's probably busy since his tour has taken up a load of his time. From the last one, which seemed to be so demanding of his attention that he didn't live with us for months, his current one is at least a little better. I decide to text him later instead and scroll through my contacts, looking for someone to entertain me for the final stretch of lunch.

My thumb stops at Rion's name. I haven't texted him yet and he doesn't have my number saved, so it might be good to fix that. I shoot him a simple greeting, waiting for his reply.

Rion: Who r u

Me: No one

Rion: Bro

Whats ur name

Me: It ends with us

Rion: What

Darius???

Why are u texting me

Me: Why not

Rion: Do u need something

Me: No

Rion: Then stop texting me

Me: No :3

Rion: I'll block u

Me: No you won't

Rion: Yes I will

Right now

Bye

Me: Wait nooo

I just wanna talk

Rion: There's nothing to talk about

Me: Chill you're not in trouble

Rion: Idc if I'm in trouble I just want to know why ur texting me

Me: Are you gonna win the game

Rion: Idfk probably

I usually do

Me: Woww really

Rion: Stop

Me: No

Rion: Ok are we done

Me: We're never done ;)

Rion: Sthu you're fucking weird