Chapter 33

I awaken in a soft bed. What ruins it for me is the plastic thing that my throat touches every time I breathe, so naturally I panic.

"Hey, hey, hey—relax, dude. Relaaaax."

My hand is stopped by another's before it can reach the tube strapped to my mouth. I see a tiny wolf on the wrist of my companion. It's Xenon. I drop my hand.

"You've been knocked out for a while, so we had to call the hospital to check if you were dead or anything. Don't worry, they don't know you're a vampire."

I grimace. "I hihn't hee ho go ho he hospiu. I phie. She? I uhahke."

"I'm sure you're saying genius things right now, but I'll go call the guy and get you discharged, alright?"

I hear him move away.

——

"My throat hurts."

Xenon smirks.

"No, stop," I groan. My throat really does hurt. A lot. And my heart, but it's more of a dull ache, like it gave up trying to signal its usual agony. At least it's starting to understand the situation.

"I didn't even say anything."

I cross my arms and wait for him to open the door for me, because right now I'm a pretty princess. "I don't need it coming from you of all people."

"I said no words," he insists, gesturing for me to go forward.

"Open the door wider."

"What? Did you gain weight? You look the same to me."

"I'm in a fucking wheelchair."

He grins and opens the door wider. I'm pretty sure I could walk, but pretty princesses don't need to do that, so I wait for Xenon to wheel me out of the building. He unceremoniously thuds me off the curb and onto the pickup lane.

"Shit didn't mean to do that. Is your princess ass okay?"

"No. I think I'm getting fucked by life right now," I grumble.

"Never been a bottom myself."

"I didn't need to know that. Where's your car?"

"Our friend is picking us up," he answers right by my ear. Just as he says that, Sascha's car rolls into view a distance away in the parking lot. It does a small lurch forward, and as it nears, I see Sascha waving in the window. He pulls up in front of us. Xenon wheels me around the car and opens the passenger seat. He lifts me up and plops me down, and as he goes back around to put the wheelchair away, Sascha turns the music up to a cosmic blast.

"Can you not?" I ask, annoyed.

"Why not?"

"Some dying cancer patient is gonna hear this shit in their final moments. Imagine your loved one dying at your side while a trap remix of Mozart plays in the background."

He laughs and turns it down. "You're no fun, dude. Packminded."

"I am a vampire. Don't rope me in with those mutts."

"I like your style, brodude. So I don't suppose you know anything about the goings-on at school?"

I glance at him. He's genuinely asking. That means there's shit to spill. "No, I kind of just got out of a fourteen day coma. What happened?"

"Well, your boyfriend was out of school for a week. No one's saying shit, so it's hard to tell if it was something to do with you or not. Trust me, I did my research. I'm chill like that. When he came back, it was kind of obvious to everyone that something happened. Like some kind of weight just got dumped his shoulders. I swear to God he got into a fight with someone during that gym class you always ogle him in."