Chapter 30

For a reason I don't quite understand, the rest of the building seems to be empty. My hearing is better now, but even when I crane my ears, I hear nothing. It's like the whole area has been evacuated. I find my phone on a table at the end of the hallway alongside the others' and check the notifications.

Rion: (sent Friday) Where are u????

Who hurt u

Dude

Wtf

Please reply

Was it Jayden???

(sent 3:10 am) I'm sorry if I did something

Xenon: (sent 8:53 am) ur bitch fucking u?? why u not home??

answer

answer

answer

answer

pls get back by like noon tho if ur fr ok

if not im gonna assume ur kidnapped and hunt u down

Rion: (sent 9:34 am) I'm coming

I'm sorry

I pulled you into this shit and you don't belong

And it was stupid

I stuff my phone in my pocket and pick up the other two phones. I head back to the room and see Celine and Jessie trying to lift Jayden up.

"God, he's such a fatass," Jessie says, but it's her shaking hands that let him slip.

I crouch before them. "I can carry this guy, but I want to make sure we're gonna be safe. Celine, can you tell if there's anyone nearby?"

Celine thinks for a while before shaking her head. "I think there's just omegas, kids, and elders. I could . . . take care of any of them if I have to. Well, not kids."

"Okay, good. I got your phones, by the way. I'll give them to you when we're in the clear."

She slides her arms out from under Jayden to let me take him. I lift him up between my arms, letting his head flop. He's big, so I have to turn sideways to get him out the door. I start down the hallway. The girls follow close behind.

"So is that other guy dead?" Jessie asks nervously.

"Not dead, just unconscious. I don't know when he's gonna wake up, which is why we need to get the hell out of here before he does." I kick the door at the end of the hall open, and it jiggles in distress when it rebounds off the wall. It leads to another hall, shorter and dimmer, and at the end of it is a staircase. I walk faster, hearing my footsteps reverberate minutely. Some kind of cell runs along the wall near the staircase, but the shadows make it hard to see if there's anyone inside.

When I get closer, I can tell there's someone in it. I halt and glance back at Celine, who shrugs. Jessie hasn't seemed to notice him and heads right up the stairs, and Celine follows.

"Yo."

Jessie stops. Celine almost runs into her. They both turn around, and I stare into the abyss before me, perplexed. "Marcel?"

A great heave. I hear footsteps approach the bars. He appears out of nowhere, wrapping two hands around the iron bars. Two twin tattoos are placed just above his knuckles. One says MORS, and the other says VINCIT. "So I take it you broke the rules?"