Voldemort gets it right, everyone else gets it wrong

Notes:

Disclaimer: I own nothing except Helena Slytherin Hufflepuff and Ryan Potter. Anything else isn't mine, except the plot

------------

On Halloween 1981, Voldemort finally found the Potters. Or rather, their cottage with mother in law and Twins inside while the parents were at a Halloween party thrown by Wormtail.

The door wasn't warded - a simple Alohamora and it swung open. The old woman was oblivious to him. The compulsions were telling him to kill her. So he did. Then for the children. The stupid prophecy hadn't even said which fucking child was the Chosen One.

The boy was quite ordinary. Mousy brown hair, mud brown eyes, a vacant expression. His magic was shallow and shaped like a cup. Voldemort sneered, the child's magic would be weak and he would have little control, little more than a Squib. Definitely not him. Sitting next to him was his twin. A girl, soft black hair, vibrant green eyes, staring at him suspiciously. The magic was disturbing. Deep, deeper than he could see, deeper than anyone's he had ever seen. And bottlenecked. She would grow to have great control and an almost inexhaustible store. Definitely her.

He Stunned the boy and turned his wand on the girl. She stared at him, at his wand. He sighed, such a child would have been a great ally. "Avada Kedavra". A shining silver and gold shield burst from the little girl and the curse rebounded on him. As he felt himself leave his body he felt the compulsions stay with it. He was free.

The Potters rushed home, with Sirius and Remus in tow, they had felt the Black magic in their wards. They saw Helena crying with a lightening shape cut on her forehead. Ryan was sleeping peacefully. Then they saw Voldemorts wand.

Dumbledore came as soon as they called him. He stared - one of the two children had killed Voldemort. He growled, that was his job. 'Albus?' Lily, his best student. He looked at her questioningly. 'Is it the Boy who Lived or the Girl who Lived?' Dumbledore hesitated. The girl felt as though she had been hit in the face with Dark magic. She was definitely Grey possibly Dark. The boy was Light without question. There was no choice.

Dumbledore drew a breath and smiled at Lily. "The Boy who Lived, definitely Lily." Helena was dumped on the cot and abandoned by all but Sirius. Everyone else was fawning over Ryan.

And so it began. Because of Albus Dumbledore's blinkered views, he did not believe that a child who had even the slightest leanings towards anything not Light could defeat darkness.

Almost everyone believed him and so Ryan grew up as practically a god, for something he had not done while Helena was ignored.