A Birthday Ball and a Letter

The next week positively flew by. Helga and Rowena decorated the Manor, with help from Helena. They conjured flowers and fountains and airy silks. The chandeliers were dangle from the ceiling, which was charmed to show the sky like Hogwarts.

Hairstyles where tried against dresses and jewellery. Godric and Salazar were forced to get new robes which weren't in their House colours. The House Elves argued with Helga loud and long over the menu before Helena just passed them a piece of parchment with the perfect one in her neat handwriting. The fountains were checked over.

Soon, everything was ready. It was the day before Helena's birthday. She wondered who her soulmate might be. Draco had been acting a little weird around her lately. She did like Draco. Nym and Luna were also great but she didn't think she was into girls. Neville was like a brother to her.

She shuddered, remembering the annulled marriage contract to Ronald. Such a pity that he had to come- Lord Weasely's divorce was almost complete, but his still wife would have to come.

Helena had had parties before, but they were all child parties with finger food and games and little to no dancing. But this would be a ball. Her parties were already famous as the event of the year for young Purebloods, but this would outstrip them by a mile. Unfortunately, the Potters had to come as her vassals.

She determindly Occluded all negative thoughts and slept.

She woke up bright and early the next morning, before her parents and streaked from her bed to their room. They had told her that this was really the last year that she could get away with jumping on their bed. So she made it a huge jump and her parents woke up to a laughing girl on top of them.

Because they were having a ball later, Helena had two birthday dresses. She smiled to herself over her breakfast. Had she told her five year old self that on her 11th birthday, she would be living in Founders Manor, would have a loving mother and father, an amazing aunt and uncle, all her friends, more books than she could read, stunning jewels, beautiful clothes and a loving, happy family she would have never believed them. She wouldn't have told them to get checked at St. Mungo's though because she wouldn't have been brave enough.

Her innate Occlumency tuned in and blocked out the maudlin thoughts. Seeing her finished, her family swooped down on her and brought her to the living room.

Gone were the days when Helena would have to hide her presents for fear they would be given to Ryan or Banished. They were given to her in pomp and ceremony (well, sort of) and she tore into each one in front of a loving audience. In addition, she had too many presents to hide them.

As the sole Heir to the Founders' Houses, she was much sought after, even at 11. Her parents had already rejected a dozen marriage contracts for her, but many boys of fairlu important Houses were still plying her with gifts in the hope of winning her favour.

She had particularly extravagant presents from her parents, naturally, but Draco's was a close second after her aunt and uncle's. When she was moving on from Draco's present though, she suddenly remembered. "My soulmark!!!" Her family laughed, ribbing her gently about forgetting such an important thing. She ripped up her pyjama sleeve and read the name on her wrist. Draconis Abraxas Malfoy. She squealed, glad beyond measure that it was her best friend (no, she hadn't had a crush on him since she was eight) who was her soul mate. The rest of the day went smoothly.

Her friends all came over a few hours later. They had agreed not to show their soulmarks until they all had them. Nym's was Remus Lupin, who was quite handsome and was in the Department of Mysteries. He also had disowned the Potters, completely breaking ties with them after they had found Helena. Neville's was Luna and Luna's was Neville. Draco's was Helena and Helena's was Draco. Fred's was Katie Bell and George's was Angeline Johnson, who were in their year at Hogwarts. Percy's was Penelope Clearwater.