Prologue

The sudden breeze through my window alerted me before I could hear or see Jack climbing through my window. I pulled my headphones out and turned around from my desk.

"You could have used the front door you know," I smiled. "Gran isn't home and even if she were she wouldn't mind."

Jack grinned that slightly lopsided smile that I loved to see. "Where would the fun be in that?" His brown eyes shon with mischief. "This feels like I'm being a rebel."

I laughed, shaking my head. "You're ridiculous."

"Ridiculously in love with you," he tells me wrapping his arms around me from behind and gently placing his lips on my forehead. I can't fight the grin at his words. It happens every time he tells me he loves me. It's a new development for us and I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing it.

We were a little complicated. For so long we flirted, eventually the flirting became the occasional make out. Jack never wanted to put a label on us though. I don't know what changed, but one day he declared his love. I was so scared that he was telling me so I would sleep with him, and then he would change his mind. It's been four months now though, and so far so good.

"Leave that work and come cuddle with me," he tugs at my hand while stepping towards the bed.

"I just have to finish this assignment, it's for my final grade."

Graduation is looming and even though I'm only going to be attending the local community college for night business classes, I still want to do well for me.

Six months ago I thought I was working towards leaving Rosehill for college, that was until my grandma got sick. Then my plans changed, my dreams got put on hold. Most of all, it cast a cloud over my future with Jack. He wouldn't talk about it, but I knew he didn't plan on staying in town.

"Annie, please?" He asks and I hear a change in his tone. A shiver runs through my body and a nervous feeling settles in my gut. Like the reverse of butterflies when you sense bad news is coming.

I swivel in my seat to face him sitting on the edge of my bed. That's not right, usually he would lay down as though my bed was his own.

"What's going on Jack?"

"Can you come sit? I have some news," he pats the bed bedside him. I notice him picking at a loose thread on my bedspread.

I close my books and make my way to sit beside him. He won't look at me, instead keeping his eyes focussed on his lap.

"I got some news tonight. A, umm, a call," he glances up at me to gauge my reaction. I motion for him to continue. "Well you know that Ms. Dunn sent off some audition tapes to some colleges and also some acting agency's. We just thought why not give it a shot. I really never thought anything would come from it."

He drifts off and I don't need him to finish explaining. I know how this is about to end.

"You got a role?" I ask, trying to hide the way my heart has instantly broken in two and the quiver in my voice as tears threaten to fall.

"Yeah," he confirms. "It's in L.A. It's a Netflix film, the director called and said he saw my tape and thinks I fit the look he was after."

I plant a big smile on my face and swallow the lump in my throat before I deliver the next lines. "That's amazing Jack, this is exactly what you wanted! Seriously, roles don't usually just land in your lap!"

He perks up at my apparent excitement for him. I see the smile he has been trying to hide. "Yeah, it's pretty great. It's so surreal and it really hasn't sunk in yet."

"Proud of you," I take his hand in mine and squeeze it, barely exhaling the words.

No matter how we try to celebrate the moment, there's this giant elephant that's joined us in the room. I don't want to ask him out loud what this means for us. I think we both know.

"When do you leave?" I ask instead.

"Filming will start in early June, so I'll leave right after graduation."

I nod. "A month," I whisper. I can't help the tear that slides out. I tried so hard to hold it in, but putting a time on it makes it so much more real.

"Hey, hey. Don't cry, please don't cry," he pulls me into his lap holding me in place around my waist and wipes the tear from my face. "Annie you know I love you. Just because I won't be here doesn't mean I'm going to stop loving you."

He kisses me gently, which only makes more tears fall.

"I love you too, I really do Jack."

"I sense a but," his voice breaks like he knows what I'm going to say.

"But this is a huge opportunity, and I can't leave Rosehill. You're going to have a whole new life and meet so many other people. You can't be worrying about your girlfriend back home. Is it fair to either of us?"

Jack takes a deep breath. He must have expected this. "Annie," he sighs, tucking my hair behind my ear. "I hear you, I do. But the only way I'll agree to this is if you let me promise you. I promise that I'll come back, I'll come back for you. I don't care we're only eighteen, I know that I'll love you for the rest of my life."

He pulls two of those cheap dollar store necklaces from his pocket. It has two halves of a heart.

"I know it's not much, but I want you to take this. It's a symbol of my promise and when I come back, after I've made a bit of money," he laughs as he clasps one necklace around my neck, handing me the other to do the same for him. "I'll replace it with a better one."