Eight

I like Baden. I had fun with him and it felt so easy. But Jack arriving back has thrown an emotional spanner into my brain and it's twisting and turning all sorts of things that I thought I had sorted out.

That's why, to be fair and honest from the beginning, I'm sitting on a park bench in Rosehill's botanic gardens holding two hot coffee's waiting for Baden. I text him last night to meet me for coffee this morning and he eagerly accepted.

That in itself feels a little cruel, because I'm likely to totally blindside him.

I'm early. I thought it would help me to figure out what I needed to say. Instead it's only made me feel nervous and jittery. I eagerly watch the path both ways for any sign of Baden approaching and each minute that ticks by I swear my heart rate increases. It's not like I'm breaking up with him. Can you even break up with someone you've only had one date with? I'm just updating him on the slight complication that sauntered into town like he hasn't been MIA for four years.

I look to my left at the sound of footsteps and see Baden approaching. The morning sun behind him makes his blonde hair look even lighter. I watch the smile grow larger on his face as he approaches me and it makes my insides swirl with excitement that I can elicit this response from someone.

"Hey beautiful," he greets, and I stand up to hug him. He places a soft kiss on my cheek, then plucks the coffee from my hand.

"Hi, thanks for coming."

"Of course," he tells me as if there was ever another option. He takes my hand as we begin to walk down the path and through the gardens Rosehill is most proud of.

Walking hand in hand feels nice. It's just so easy to feel good with Baden. It's completely different to the way Jack makes me feel. Yes, that's in present tense because he still managed to evoke a feeling of excitement from me in the two small encounters we've had.

Being close to Jack made my pulse race, he makes every nerve tingle in anticipation and without even trying, his simmering gazes and the slightest touch still managed to make me feel something down south, no matter how much I tried to ignore it.

Baden's touch doesn't do that. Rather, his is comforting and safe. I do think though, given the chance, we would find that spark and sexual energy.

"Sorry I didn't get back to you about last night until it was too late," I apologise to Baden. I realised too late after the whirlwind of Jack showing up in my bedroom that I never replied to Baden's text from the morning. After Jack left my house I called Savannah and by the time I remembered it was already early evening, hence the morning coffee date as somewhat of a compromise.

Wait, is this considered a date? Especially given the blow I was about to deliver.

"I still got to see you again, so I'm not complaining," he grins as he talks, but then he must notice my clear apprehension as the grin falters a bit. "Is everything ok Annie?"

I sigh. "I don't know how else to say this-"

"Please tell me your not ending this before it's even begun?" Baden interrupts me, pulling us to a stop and looking at me with pleading eyes.

"No! No I'm not. Not exactly," I pull my hands from his, taking a piece of my hair between my fingers and twirling it around and around. It's a nervous habit of mine.

"Jack showed up in town yesterday. Actually Friday night of all times he drove through town when we left the restaurant. He then came into the diner yesterday and when I wouldn't talk to him then, he showed up at my house."

I spit it all out in one quick blur of words, just like ripping a Band-Aid off quickly. I fear for a moment that I spoke so fast that Baden didn't quite understand because he is just standing there looking dumbfounded. When he finally comes to, he runs a hand through his blonde hair and lets out a sigh similar to my own earlier.

"When you say he saw us leave the restaurant, you mean he saw us kiss? So he knows you're moving on?" Baden confirms and I'm a little surprised that's the first thing he chooses to ask.

I nod, pursing my lips.

"Right. Ok then," Baden continues, and I can see him working through his thoughts. "Did he say what he wants?"

"No, not really. He wants the chance to explain. I'm seeing him tonight to give him that chance," I tell him and when I see his face completely fall I feel the need to quickly clarify. "It's not a date. It's just a chance for him to tell me what he came to say."

"And how do you feel?" Baden asks quietly, as though he is scared of my answer.

"I don't know," I tell him honestly. "I had an amazing time with you. I want to see where this can go. But Jack and I have a history and I feel like I want to hear his explanation. When I saw him, it wasn't how I had pictured it would be. For years I daydreamed about that moment, but when I saw him walk in to the diner I was so angry at him. I still am angry with him."

Baden doesn't respond right away but I can tell his mind is racing. Before he speaks again he takes a step closer to me. His close proximity does make my skin prickle. It's still different to Jack, but I can't deny there is something between us.

"Annie, you probably don't know this, but I already stepped aside for Jack once before. Before you and him became a thing I was all prepared to ask you to homecoming in our senior year. I wanted to ask you to prom in junior year but chickened out. Jack found out what I was planning and he swooped on in and asked you first. After that I watched from a distance as you two got closer and started hooking up at parties and eventually became a couple."

My mouth drops open in shock at his confession. I had absolutely no idea. If I think back to high school all I can remember is Jack. It was always all about Jack for me. With this admission from Baden I feel guilty for unknowingly hurting him.

"I let him have you then, but Annie, I'm not going to step aside again. I think we have a chance at something here and I'm going to fight for that. So you go and you talk to Jack and hear him out. Do whatever it is that you need to do. All I ask is that you consider me, consider us and remember how this feels."

Baden pulls me into his arms after he finishes his speech and before I have a chance to even react he places his lips on mine. The kiss is far more fervent that our first kiss. I respond quickly, enjoying the way he is making me feel, the slight hint of coffee I can taste and the way my whole body tingles as our tongues tangle together like they've been doing this dance for a long time.

I may be feeling a whole lot of confusion over my own thoughts and feelings, but Baden has made his abundantly clear.