Sixteen

Jack

I'm pissed. Of course I knew there was always the chance they would find me here, and honestly making it nearly a full week before that happened is a miracle. It probably wasn't helped by engagement rumours just last week. The media was hungry for some sort of update.

It's one thing for them to find me, take photos of me and post them. It's another for the grubs to swarm Annie's diner and write stories making her out to be some sort of home wrecker.

I've got Tom and my publicist on damage control for Annie's reputation. Alexa and I already posted updates on our social media about our split that physically was weeks ago, but emotionally it's been months.

The worst part is now I need to go back to Malibu to create space between Annie and I for her own protection. I've had the best week of my life spending time with her but we still haven't talked about what's next.

Between my sister and mom we came up with an elaborate plan involving three cars, a couple of disguises and decoys to get me to Annie's house. I parked a few blocks away and have snuck down the street hiding behind tree's dressed all in black like some sort of creeper. So far there's no sign of anyone following me, so I guess that makes it worth it.

I sneak down the side of Annie's Gran's house and around to the back. I'll say it's for extra precautions, but choosing to climb through her window is also just for old times sake.

"You could have used a door. I'm sure climbing through my window was not necessary," Annie laughs as I climb through the open window.

"Where would be the fun in that?" I repeat the words I would tell her every other time we had this same conversation.

She shakes her head, but she's still smiling. I wrap her in my arms and kiss her. "Are you ok?" I murmur.

"Yes, but this whole thing with you in my room right now feels a whole like the first time you told me you were leaving."

I swallow, because she's right. More right than she knows. Only this time I have a plan and not a promise to make. I guide her to sit on the bed and sit myself, both of us angling our bodies to each other.

I happen to catch sight of a familiar old chain on her side table. Part of me can't believe she kept it all these years, but I'm also not overly surprised. It definitely wasn't there a week ago when I last stood in her room, which means she has looked at it recently.

"Annie, I love you and I'm pretty sure you're just as much in love with me," it's a statement, but she nods her head as though it were a question. "I know our lives are different. I'm obviously based in L.A with work, my house is in Malibu, and your life is here. But I want us to be together and find a way to make it work. I don't care if it's long distance at first, I will come back here to see you whenever I can and fly you out to me whenever you can get away. But I want to be with you Annie."

"I want that too," she replies hesitantly and I know there's a but in there. "Do you think we can make it work? Long distance I mean."

I want to tell her that I don't want us to be long distance at all. I want to sweep her away with me and we live happily ever after. I know that she will never agree to that though and she has far too many things keeping her here. For now.

From my jacket pocket I pull out a navy blue box. I know she doesn't panic about it being a ring of any sort because the box is the wrong shape. But her curiosity is definitely peaked.

"You remember the stories about me being photographed in a jewellery store?" I ask her.

"Yes," she nods.

"Well you already know I definitely wasn't buying an engagement ring for Alexa. But I was at a jewellery store." From my other pocket I pull out the old cheap chain necklace with the half a heart on it. My half of the one I gave Annie when we were eighteen. I see her eyes dart from the chain in my hand to the one on her side table and a small smile lights up her face.

"I made you a promise. I messed up and I made you wait far too long. But when I went to that jewellery store it was to upgrade that follow store chain."

I open the box to show her the necklace I picked out. It's a delicate gold chain with a heart charm on it and a tiny diamond in the corner. It's understated but beautiful. Just like my Annie. I take it from the box and make her turn around so I can put it on her. "It's a full heart this time because I don't want us to be apart."

When she turns back, there are tears in her eyes. "Thank-you Jack. For this," she touches the necklace. "And for coming back for me."

I wipe her tears with my thumb, taking the chance to kiss her again. Because I will never, ever get tired of kissing this woman. "You're worth it all baby."

"When do you have to leave again?"

I wince, hating this part. I hate that I have to leave at all and I don't know when I can come back just yet. Tom left me with no choice. The damn paparazzi left me with no choice. I need this story to die down before I can come back. It's not even really about me, it's all about protecting Annie and my family from the vultures.

"I have a flight out late tonight. I'm sorry baby. I really hate this part."

She smiles sadly, wiping away more of her tears herself and it breaks my heart.

"We'll make it work. You might be Jack Hayes, Hollywood star, but we're still Annie and Jack and I love you. I want to make this work. If long distance is what it has to be for now, then that's what it is."

For the rest of the time I have before my phone starts sending me reminders that I really need to get to the airport, I hold her in my arms. I hate not knowing when I'll next be able to hold her, but knowing that I will stops my heart from hurting as much as it did four years ago.

Word count- 20,119