Hard Choices

{This story was kind of a mess before... So, I decided to match it with how it is on Quotev. I also added a few more lines. Ha! I guess I did end up updating this one next like I said I would.}

You and Varian have been walking through the tunnels underneath Corona for a while now.

You both have already been through multiple traps that are in the caves, like one where the walls started closing in and you two were almost squished together, and a tripline trap (which Ruddiger tripped) and it makes a part of the ceiling collapse, oh, and also a brick Varian stepped on which almost shot arrows at his face. Luckily, he dodged.

You have almost approached the vault which holds the Sundrop flower. Varian says we need to take a petal from the original Sundrop flower that was used to heal Queen Arianna all those years ago.

Varian had definitely been acting strange recently; after the snowstorm, that is.

The first time you two met up after the blizzard was in a boat, where he covered your mouth up so you couldn't make any noise as he jumped in with you.

He said that he "needed to lie low".

You then gave him the scroll that he'd been asking for with his note to Rapunzel and you, and he explained to you how he needed the Sundrop flower to brake his dad out of the amber.

You knew that the Sundrop flower was in the castle vault, and that it hadn't been destroyed by King Fredrick or anybody else but was instead kept safe for potential future use, (You can thank Guards Stan and Pete for leaking that information to you) but you questioned in your head how Varian was so sure of this...

You didn't bring it up, though, and instead asked him how he was planning on obtaining this flower, since he obviously knew it was hidden in a vault and not thrown out into someone's backyard somewhere.

However, when he replied and suggested STEALING the flower from the vault, you were taken aback. You, yourself don't really object to stealing it... but you were confused that VARIAN, the cute Alchemist kid, would suggest something like that!

"Stealing it? But, Varian-" you remember saying, "I know, it's not 'right', but we have to! To save my father! To- to save Corona!" he cut you off.

You were separated from your flashback when Varian points up his staff and says "It's a dead end." You look around and respond "No, we're here. Right under the vault. See that trapdoor?" He looks at you and replies, "Yeah, how do we get it open?"

"Hmm..." You count seven pillars in front of you. "Maybe these have something to do with it."

You push one of the pillars, and it starts to move as if it was doing something. You push it more, until the pillars retract into the ground.

Then the trapdoor starts to open. "Yes! It's opening!" You say, watching the trapdoor open with awe. In this moment, it feels like epic music is playing in the background of your mind.

Suddenly, giant footsteps come from behind. You turn around, and see a giant robot-looking thing coming straight for you and Varian. You back up behind Varian, warning him of the... Thing.

He looks at it. "Fascinating! I believe this is an Automaton." He says, turning around to face you. "A marvel of ancient technology, really."

"Varian. This isn't a time to- Look out!" You warn Varian of the Automaton again, as it raises it's fist, ready to attack him.

Varian turns around, and before it squishes him into the ground, you pull him away. The fist smashes into the ground, but without squishing Varian under it.

Varian looks at you, as if thinking 'Thank you.' But he instead says, "Don't worry, Y/N, I got this." and throws glowing vials at it. It explodes onto the Automation, knocking it back.