ғɪᴠᴇ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғɪᴠᴇ

"Look at them! My goodness! District 4 this year is fantastic, don't you think?" Caesar laughed and asked Claudius, who just nodded enthusiastically

"Look at them! My goodness! District 4 this year is fantastic, don't you think?" Caesar laughed and asked Claudius, who just nodded enthusiastically. "I love the outfits. Look at the girl, she's stunning! Did you know she's only 13?"

"What, but she looks beautiful."

Caesar nodded in agreement and looked again at the parade. "Arthur has outdone himself this year. That outfit." He turned to Claudius and looked deep into his eyes. "I need it." 

The two looked at each other for a moment longer before both laughed.

-----

She felt like she was going to throw up. When all the people looked at her and whistled or threw flowers, she felt sick. Seeing these people, celebrating these games, disgusted her.

"I love you, Mary!" a man shouted from the audience as he passed out. She looked over at him in shock. The man was probably in his thirties and had just told her, a 13-year-old, that he loved her.

"Ignore him," Mikael whispered in her ear. Mary looked over at him as he smiled at her. The crowd went wild when they saw this, which got Mary thinking again. "I know this is disgusting, but you have to keep it together. We're almost done." Mary gave him a thankful smile and put on another perfect smile. 

When they were almost finished, Mikael took Mary's hand and held his and hers in the air. Mary looked surprised at the gesture but then smirked, too, which the crowd must have loved.

-----

While the crowd celebrated District 4, one person was suspicious. The old man had his eyebrows pinched together and had his eyes fixed on the girl.

"She's going to be a problem," he spoke to his son, who was sitting next to him with a glass of wine. The son only let out a laugh.

"She? No. She's just a kid, she's not going to win." The son took a tart from the platter and stuffed it in his mouth as the old man continued to speak.

"They are all children, don't forget that. I see something I saw in someone two years before, and that person won."

The son became speechless and thought about his father's words. Now that he looked closer, he saw what his father meant. She had the same charisma and presence as someone two years ago.

The old man continued to look at her as their eyes met. The girl was surprised, but then smiled at him, which he could only return.