ᴛᴇɴ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ

There was silence in the room

There was silence in the room. Nobody spoke. Everyone knew they had to give their best performance now, otherwise, it would be over for them already. If you came out with a number like 6, you would be dead already now. No one would team up with you. But if you came out with a 10, on the one hand, you would be everyone's help, but you would also be everyone's target. 

"You have to make it, so they remember you." 

Finnick's voice echoed in her head. Early in the morning, while everyone was eating breakfast, Finnick came up with this topic. 

The relationship between Finnick and Mary had not improved. She skillfully ignored him and was angry with him. He, in turn, tried to tease her constantly and bring up her mother. 

"Kenna Richard." someone spoke from the speakers. Thus, it began now. The girl from district one walked to the entrance with her head raised. Mary had noticed in the last few days that the career tributes were too self-absorbed and self-conscious this year. Which was not good. They would probably get killed early, but sadly, she must admit that the career tributes had skills.

Mary closed her eyes to think. To put her thoughts in order and to sort out what had happened in the last few days. A lot had happened, and probably a lot would happen. When she next opened her eyes, Districts 1, 2, and 3 were already gone, which meant District 4 was next.

She looked at Mikael, who gave her an encouraging smile. Still, you could see his fear.

"We can do this," she whispered, to which he nodded.

"Mikael McCall." Mikael stood up and squeezed Mary in another hug, whispering a 'good luck' to him. This he only returned to her and disappeared behind the doors. Mary turned to Francesca, who was sitting next to her.

"Are you scared too?" Franci nodded.

"Yes, I am. But what's going to happen? If the idiots inside can't appreciate my abilities, it's not my problem. I know what I can do, and that's good enough for me. And so should you. You're talented, Mary. Now, if you get a 5 or whatever, it doesn't matter. You'll still have me, and that's the most important thing, right?" In the end, she laughed softly, which also made Mary laugh. "Come here." Francesca engulfed her in a bone-crushing hug and didn't let go. "It's going to be okay."

"I hope so."

"Mary Kenner." Quickly, the two disengaged. Mary's breathing quickened, and her eyes widened.

Francesca grabbed her by the shoulder. "You will be fine. You can do this. I believe in you."

Mary nodded and nervously walked to the doors. As she opened the doors, she turned again to Franci, who gave her a thumbs up.

----

The people upstairs were talking to each other about God and the world, but not looking at her. 

"Mary Kenner. District 4." They stopped talking and looked at the little girl. Mary walked over to the guns and picked one up. She aimed at the target and fired. 'Fuck,' she thought. The bullet went next to the head. She hadn't hit the target, she had missed.

Immediately, laughter came from above. Mary looked up and swallowed deeply. She shot again and this time she hit perfectly in the heart. She looked up again, only to see that no one was paying attention to her. It puzzled her. She shot the target again, again perfectly, and this time without looking. Meanwhile, she watched the game makers upstairs closely. No one was paying attention to her. Not a single one. She shot again and again and again. Each time perfectly and without looking at the target. Still, no one was looking at her. Everyone was just talking and eating. Mary looked around and saw a roasted pig on top with an apple in its mouth. It was stupid, but how else could she get attention? 

She took aim and shot. 

Right at the apple. And it hit. 

Shocked looks and gasps came to her. Seneca Crane, the Head Game Master, looked at her in shock. He was about to take the apple when the bullet grazed him. Mary looked shocked when she realized she had really done it, but quickly picked herself up and bowed. "Thank you, for your attention." With that, she left, leaving shocked people in her wake.

----

Author note:

I don't know yet when the next update will come because I will be on vacation for two weeks in two weeks. Maybe I'll manage to write another chapter in the next two weeks, maybe not, I don't know yet.