ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

"I'm not much older than you, Mary, you know? You're 13, I'm 16."  Elle leaned against the door frame as she looked down at the floor, depressed. When she wanted to talk to Mary, she pulled Mary into her room, since not so many should overhear. Mary, meanwhile, sat on the edge of her bed.

"When I was young, my parents weren't at home a lot. In the morning my sister, Euphemia, or as I call her Effie, woke me up for school, and at lunchtime, she always made me something to eat. In the afternoon, she went to do something with me, and at night, she put me to sleep. I love my sister, Mary. Really. She's everything I have and without her, I wouldn't be me as I am today. When I was 12, she became an escort of District 12. I hated it. She was away from me. I had nobody. I was left alone. Our parents were dead at that time. It came out that they drank too much. I was 7 back then. So when Effie left, I had nowhere to go. I mean, you can't leave a 12-year-old-one alone at home for months. So they put me with Effie. I really loved it. I was going to the capital, and I was watching the games! I was happy. When I was a kid, I loved the games. I just thought they were always unreal. Made up. All are written in a script. When I was 13, a year after everything, I started my education as an escort for a district. Effie helped me a lot. Normally, you start at the age of 15, and then you will get a job with the capital. You need to work higher, so you can get an escort. Thousands of people want to become one. But only 12 can do that. And I was one. The escort for District 4 before, in the 64th games, went sick afterward. I knew her. She was my mentor when I learned everything. She asked if I could do the job for her. The capitol agreed and I was super happy. I thought it was the best thing ever happen to me. Then the 65th began. Finnicks game. You should know that he is not a bad person. He is super sweet if you get to know him. Before the games started he was a little innocent boy. He was shy. His partner, she was... Everything changed him. I always thought that the games were great, beautiful, not real. But when I became this, when I got this job, I realized that this was all real. When I saw him getting out there, alone, with bruises and everything, I was scared. He looked traumatized. He looked dead. There was no life in his eyes. I went with him on the tour. We became great friends, I mean, we are the same age. At that moment, I didn't really have contact with Effie. Everything was just so stressful. At my second game, I was horrified. When I saw both of my tributes dying, I asked myself, how can the capital do this? It was just so ugly to watch. And now my third game, I have you and Mikael as my tributes and I hope everything will be okay." Tears formed in her eyes as she looked up into Mary's eyes.

"Why did you tell me this?" She was confused. Why would Elle tell her all that stuff? Especially the stuff about Finnick?

Elle let out a laugh. "I- I know that you don't like Finnick. You probably hate him. And this is completely okay. His actions are not okay." She walked toward the bed and sat down next to Mary. She took her hands in hers and ran circles on the back of her hands. "But you should also know that the games made him the person he is today. And if you are gonna survive, 'cause I hope you do, you need to look after yourself. You are pretty much like Finnick before the games. If they gonna tell you something, don't believe everything. Most of the things are lies."

"Elle? I uhm have one question. It's okay if you don't answer it, but-"

"Yes?"

"His partner, who was she?" She was curious. Who was his partner? Nobody would tell her. She asked Ares once, but he told her she should think about other things.

She smiled at her. "That's not my story to tell. The person to ask would be Finnick. I only can say that she and Finnick had a special bond, and she was a special person to him."

A special person to him?

Maybe a friend or ...

Mary didn't want to probe further, noticing how the subject was bothering Elle.

"Thank you for telling me everything."

"Of course. If you have any questions or if you need anything, you can always come to me. I hope you know that. Now sleep well. Goodnight, Mary."

Elle walked out and gave Mary one last smile, which she returned. 

"Goodnight, Elle."

----

Author's note: 

So...

1. We know Elle's and Effie's background story.

2. We also know now that Finnicks partner was special to him. Any ideas about what happened to her?

3. Do any of you would like a Sebastian Stan fanfiction?

Hope you have a great day!

Love, Jasmin.