ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ

"What did you think you were doing?" Elle stood in the middle of Mary's room, upset, while Finnick casually leaned against the door frame with a grin. After Mary told them why she had come out earlier, Elle pushed her into her room.

"I-," Mary began."

You know you just ruined your reputation? Nobody's going to like you. The sponsors won't support you!" Mary knew it wasn't meant to come across as nasty, and Elle only meant well.

"Elle, I'm sorry, okay? I wasn't thinking at that moment. I just wanted them to notice me. I fired my first bullet, and it went right next to my head! The bullets I fired after that landed perfectly! But no! Those stupid people up there weren't looking! I needed their attention!" She looked up at Elle in despair as Mary sat intimidatingly on her bed. Mary's goal was to get attention.

"I didn't have their attention and look at me, I won," Finnick interjected into the conversation. Of course, now he had to butt in. Mary wanted to kill him at that moment.

She sighed. "Yeah, because you have skills. Lots of skills. I just have the gun! I need their attention, so I can get a high score, and if I get a high score, I'll get lots of sponsors, and then I won't die." She spoke faster and faster, and her breathing became increasingly erratic. Her voice was just a whisper at the end.

Elle sat down next to her on the bed. "Mary, I understand that, but do you really think you're going to get a high score with this action?" She put a hand on her back, comfortingly.

"I won't! I know! That was a stupid action!"

"Very stupid."

 "Finnick," Elle hissed softly to get him to shut up, he just raised his arms innocently.

"Elle, I just want to live," Mary whispered to Elle. At that moment, Elle knew Mary didn't want any of this. She tried to get out. Before, she thought Mary was a little kid being naive about saving her sister. But from here on, she was sure that Mary was just the same as everyone else. She just wanted to protect and help.

Before the two could continue their conversation, Mikael came sprinting into the room.

"You have to come! They're saying the score!"

-----

"As you know, after a week of training, the Tributes were graded on a scale of one to twelve." Mary sat on the couch with Elle and Mikael, while Ares sat comfortably on a chair with a bottle of whiskey in hand. Finnick, meanwhile, leaned against the door frame. The mood was tense. This could be anything.

"Kenna from District 1 got a score of 10," Caeser said.

"Like every year," muttered Ares to himself as he took the last sip from the bottle.

"They're getting better and better," Elle agreed.

"Of course they will, they train for everything," Finnick replied. Of course, they trained for everything. It was District 1. They and District 2 were Career Tributes, after all.

Caeser had gotten to the point where it was now District 4's turn."

Mikael from District 4 got an eight." 8. That was good. That was really good.

 "CONGRATULATIONS!" cried Elle, patting him happily on the back.

"That's good! An 8!" added Ares. When everyone had calmed down, they turned back to the screen. Now it was Mary's turn.

'Probably a 5,' she thought, 'Or maybe disqualified?'

"And the girl we all love, Mary, got a score of...., oh my goodness.... an 11!" No. She couldn't believe it. Her, Mary Kenner, had managed a score of 11. How?

"OMG!" Elle jumped up and hugged Mary tightly as she cried slightly with happiness.

"Impressive.", Finnick murmured softly so no one could hear.

"But how?" asked Mary to the crowd. She didn't understand. How the hell?

"Maybe the tributes for next year should do the same," Ares joked, to which Elle looked at him sharply.

Elle wiped the tears from her cheek as she looked around again. "You should all sleep now! You need lots of sleep! Tomorrow are the interviews. You've all been great! But Mary, can I talk to you for a bit?" Before Mary could disappear, she quickly added the last part. Mary just nodded and they both walked towards the balcony.

----

Author note: 

Hello friends, long time no see. The last few weeks have been very busy, so apologies for not uploading anything. I have theater performances this week. Yesterday was already a performance, which was better than expected, but still sucked. On Friday I finally play, and I'm looking forward, but also feel slightly scared. Anyway. Away from my problems. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. It was short and worse than the others, anyway. The next chapter will be all about Elle and Mary. Have a nice day!

Love, Jasmin.