Chapter 10: Knight of Redemption

"How do you know?" My Grandmother asked.
"I just got a text through my watch, from him," I said.
"Can you text this number, K-N-I, 6-6-7," Micheal said.
I inserted the information into my phone.
"What do you want me to say?" I asked.
"That is Kitt's tracking number, but it functions like a phone number, just tell him what happened and who you are," Micheal said.
I immediately texted Kitt, I said," Kitt, this is Susan, I just got a text from the 3000 saying that he was hacked again, be aware."
We approached the diner, but I didn't want to leave the car, I was scared. The 3000 could be on the loose again, looking for innocent victims.
We had all gotten out of the car together. It was one of those cars where you had to manually unlock and lock all of the doors, so I made sure I had locked my door.
The diner looked a lot like the one in Grease. Dang, all of the 70s movies are coming out today, Smokey and the Bandit first, now Grease, what's next, American Graffiti? We stepped into the diner, I can guarantee it did not smell like the 70s, hence the large "No Smoking" sign on the door. A waiter seated us quickly, they didn't have many customers and asked what we wanted to drink. You can call me boring, but all I got was water, Micheal got Coca-Cola, and my Grandmother got iced tea.
"So, what did he tell you about getting hacked?" My grandmother asked as the waiter walked away.
"Not much at all, he just said someone changed his program, and to be aware," I said.
My watch buzzed again, this time, Kitt had texted me.
"Susan, I'm tracking your location right now from your watch, the 3000 isn't very far, text again if you need my assistance." He said.
"Kitt just texted me," I said.
"What did he say?" Micheal asked.
"The 3000 isn't far," I said.
Just then the cashier came back with our drinks. She placed them gently on the table.
"What can I get you folks to eat?" She said She had her hair back into a ponytail, bright red lipstick, and her eyelashes were caked in mascara.
"I'll get the Jukebox Burgher," I said.
"Fries or chips on the side?" She asked.
"Fries please," I said.
"Okay, and you?" She said, looking at Micheal.
"I'll have the Grilled Cheese Burgher, with chips," Micheal said.
"Okay, what about you?" She said to my Grandmother.
"I'll have the Chicken patty." She said,
"Fries or chips?" She asked.
"Fries." My Grandmother said.
"Okay folks, this should be out here shortly." She said, before leaving.
"Where is he?" Micheal asked.
"I don't know, Kitt just said he was near," I answered.
"Ask Kitt to send you his location," My Grandmother said.
I didn't know what she meant by that.
I texted Kitt," Can you send me his location or at least a way to track him?"
The diner was fairly silent, except for the sound of pots and pans clanging from the kitchen. You could hear the cooks talking to each other, it was so quiet. There was a radio somewhere, and it had been playing "Not Fade Away" by Buddy Holly. My watch buzzed again, indicating that I had got a response from Kitt. I looked at my phone, and he had sent me a link. I opened it quickly. It took me to a website that looked like Google Maps, however, there was a pin, and it was constantly moving. I had assumed that was the 3000. He was less than 5 minutes away from us and getting closer. I put my phone on the table so both Micheal and my Grandmother could see. I looked around at the diner's walls for a second. It had all of the classic things you would most likely see in a diner, tons of chrome, the front end of a Bel-Air had been attached to the wall, along with a mural of license plates. Tons of vinyl records have been hung on the walls, along with neon signs. One neon sign had the name of the diner, "George's Old School Diner."
"He is almost here." My Grandmother exclaimed.
"Yeah, I know," I said.
Just then the lady came back with our food. She gave us each our dish, then left.
The food itself looked delicious, or maybe I had just forgotten how hungry I was.
As I ate, my grandmother stared at me with an odd glare.
"What?" I said, my mouth half full.
"Since when do you like hamburgers?" She said,
"Since always," I said, swallowing the food in my mouth.
It was scrumptious. It had just the right amount of beef, sauce, and onions. Everything melted together delightfully in my mouth. Trust me, I was very disappointed when I finished the whole thing, it was so good. Micheal and I finished at the same time, all the while, my Grandmother was just starting on her fires.
"Oh my, you two must have been very hungry." She said,
'Yeah, we didn't eat much today. Considering, we've been on the road all this morning, until we got to your house." I said, wiping the sauce off of the sides of my mouth. I looked down at my phone as my Grandmother popped a fry into her mouth. The 3000 might as well have been banging on the door of the diner, he was sitting in the parking lot. I shot my head up quickly and looked out the window.
"Crap!" I said.
The 3000 sat in the parking lot, right next to my Grandmother's Cutlass, like he didn't know that was her car. A man, the same one who had grabbed me, had gotten out of the driver's side door. I hoped he wasn't scanning for me or Micheal. Then a thought occurred to me, what if whoever this was is the person who is changing the 3000's program? It made perfect sense, whenever he was around, the 3000 has only been crazy. He must have seen me fix the program and decide to do it again.
"It's that creep who grabbed me in the Sheetz," I said.
'Wait, you almost got kidnapped?" My Grandmother exclaimed.
"Not quite," Micheal said.
I texted Kitt, the 2000, "Get your 80s bumper over here, we got problems." I said.
Micheal kept watching the man, as he walked away from the Mustang and towards the door of the diner.
"What does he want from us?" Micheal asked
"Maybe he found the 3000 and tried to change him so that way he could be his little minion," I said.
"Sounds like my ex," Micheal grumbled under his breath.
I looked down at my phone, Kitt still hadn't responded.
The guy opened the door of the diner and invited himself in.
I shoved my hand in my pocket, feeling around for my pocket knife. I hadn't told anyone that I even owned one because my mother, for one, would have tried to take it away from me because I shouldn't carry a weapon according to her, and secondly, I planned on only using it for self-defense. The waiter came up to him and tried to seat him, but he held a knife up to her.
"You will tell me where Susan Barstow is, or I will shove this in your throat." He threatened.
"I don't know anyone named Susan!" The waiter said, in a blind panic.
"Then get out of my way." He growled at her. The look on his face was one of pure evil, he wanted something from me, I could tell, and he wasn't going to stop until he got his way.
He pushed the waiter off to the side and walked in a straight line toward us. My watch buzzed again. I looked down, Kitt had texted me. "Susan, get out of there, he has a gun." He said.
I looked up again and he was right in my face.
"You're going to tell me where the 2000 is," He said, he had his hand on his gun.
I wasn't scared for a moment, I knew Kitt was on his way to help me.
"Am I?" I said.
"Yes," He said, pulling the gun out of his holster.
Micheal and my Grandmother were frozen.
All of a sudden, without thinking, I sprung out of my seat, he tried to fire the gun, but I grabbed his wrist and pointed it up at the ceiling. The gun shot through the roof harmlessly. He was caught off guard, which gave me time to pull it out of his hand and pull my pocket knife to him.
I pinned him against the wall, keeping the knife just centimeters from slicing open his neck.
"What do you want with him?" I said.
"That's not your business." He said. I poked the knife into his throat a little, causing a little bead of blood to drip out.
"And neither is keeping you alive," I threatened.
"Fine, Bario Electronics sent me, they want me to decommission both of the cars." He said.
"Why," I said.
"Because they are threatening to their new technology. " He said.
I turned to look at Micheal.
"Kitt should be here any minute, what should I do with him?" I said.
"The waiter called the cops, let them take him." He said.
I looked behind the bar, where the waiter was ducked down, on the phone.
He tried to pull out his knife again, but I swatted his hand away from it.
Just then, I heard the whir of Kitt's engine and the sirens of a police car.
He struggled to get away, but I reminded him that I had a knife to his neck with a little poke.
There were two police officers, both of them rushed in at the same time, one saw me with the guy, and tried to arrest me!
"Wait." Micheal interrupted the officer who was about to cuff me.
The officer looked in Micheal's direction.
"It's not her, it's the other guy. He held a gun up to her." He said, pointing to the gun that he had, which was now on the checkered floor of the diner.
The officer went after the other guy instead, apologizing to me. The other officer was talking to the waiter and my Grandmother.
"We should probably get out of here," Micheal suggested.
"My thoughts exactly," I replied.
We waited for my Grandmother to be finished with the officer, then left the building.
Kitt sat outside waiting for us.
"I'm so glad you all are okay." He said.
The 3000 rushed out of his parking spot, and charged towards us, but slammed on the breaks, missing me by inches.
"My program..." He said, his voice glitchy.
I opened his door and got in. I took a look at his coding, there was an addition to one of his main programs. It was to kill me. I let out a small gasp as I erased it. This guy must have been getting paid a ton because he wasn't just trying to take out the Knight Industries vehicles, he was trying to take out anything that stood in his way.