Chapter 4: With my last breath

Hours passed. Barley and Ian got up and hugged their mom before nurses from the hospice and palliative care teams came by a few minutes later to set things up for Luca.
By this time, both Luca and Alberto had their ports placed. They opted last moment for Luca to have a Hickman line placed instead of a port so it would be easier. Alberto still got the port though.

Another hospice nurse assessed Luca on the bed and asked him a few questions as he was somewhat awake to speak.

Everything was happening so fast and Alberto couldn't stop his heart from racing faster than a speeding bullet in his chest. He could only imagine the thoughts going through Luca's mind at this moment. Just the mere fact that he knew he WAS going to die and soon must be devastating to the poor young teen. Cancer wasn't a joke and it's favourite thing to do is to destroy happiness in families; leaving behind nothing but bitter memories of pain and sorrow where there was once happiness and excitement.
Oh how Alberto wished deep in himself that Luca wasn't sick and that he could come home with him. Right now he didn't have a fighting chance of leaving the hospital outside of a body bag.
Alberto had to face the fact that his world was rapidly about to be turned upside down and then shattered abruptly into a million tiny shards and pieces. He had to accept that there wasn't a single thing he could do but watch it happen in what seemed like a painful, slow motion. Oh how he ever so desperately wanted it to slow down for just 5 minutes!

Soon, all the paperwork was complete. The hospice and palliative care teams left and once again, the whole room felt so bitterly cold. An unsettling feeling filled everyone's stomachs and left a bitter taste in their mouths.
The reality of this whole situation was finally starting to show its ugly head to the surface and very quickly for that matter.
Alberto tried to wrap his head around it but as hard as he tried, he just couldn't make himself come to terms with the fact that this hospital room would be the last place Luca ever saw and this made him mad. Luca didn't deserve cancer or any of this. He definitely didn't deserve to leave this world way too soon. He was supposed to grow up and grow old with him, not die before him!
Soon, Barley and Ian had to head back home, leaving everyone to go back to what they were doing.
Alberto crawled back into the bed with Luca and wrapped his arms around him. His eyes remained half mast and he wearily looked at Alberto to say, "So this is it huh? At least I can have someone stay with me. This whole situation is so messed up and it's creeping me out. I feel so sick and I want to go home. But I guess this is my home now? An eerie hospital room with nurses and doctors as my neighbors. "
Alberto started to cry as he nodded.
He looked at Luca in the eyes and then held his hands tightly and then said, "You know I love you right? You know I'd bring down the moon and stars just to know that I'd be able to spend one more precious week with you alive. I'd give up everything I had Luca, but now I regret to say that all I can bring down isn't the moon or stars but tears from my heart. If only I could bring down more than that."
Luca slowly reached up and touched Alberto's face and then said sleepily, "Alberto, I know you love me and all I want is to know you won't ever leave my side until I leave. I don't wanna go through this alone."
"You won't Luca. I'll make sure of that. When you lose your hair and they shave your head, I'll rock the bald head and bandannas with you, when you are sick and throwing up from chemo, I'll be there to help you feel better the best I can. When you ache all over and relief isn't anywhere in sight, I'll be there to look into your eyes and tell you I'm there for you. And when you take your last breath, I won't leave your side until they take you away."
Luca smiled and gently touched Alberto's face before closing his eyes and falling asleep once again.
Alberto knew what this meant. It meant that much closer for Luca leaving. He didn't like it but it was what it was.

The next day came faster than anyone wanted. Chemo was started and as usual as the days passed, Luca was beginning to get sick and lose his curly brown hair, insomuch that after a week, Barley had the honor of shaving his head. Alberto asked Barley to shave his head too so Luca wouldn't feel alone. Barley smiled and agreed. Luca smiled as he saw Alberto remove his black skull beanie a while later to expose his freshly shaved head.
"You remembered!" Luca said smiling, pointing to Alberto's shiny bald head.
"Of course buddy. I told you I wouldn't let you go through this alone."
Ian placed his baseball cap on Luca's head and then posed for a selfie with him.